Design Addict

Cart

Burke, Inc Saarinen...

Burke, Inc Saarinen style dining table and chairs  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@sallypackardrocketmail-com)
24/08/2009 1:57 am  

I have the Burke version of the tulip table and chairs produced in the '50's.. I have been trying for months to see if it has any value at all. Today I found a Burke Website that intimated the table was designed by Saarinen. I am including the article. If anyone knows if or what the value might be on this set I would love to know.

The URL is: http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?item=6585&camefrom=

Burke, Inc.
Dallas Texas
Eero Saarinen

Saarinen began his career as a student at Yale University and after travels and studies in Europe returned to the U.S. and taught for a brief period at Cranbrook. Cranbrook was founded by publisher George C. Booth and Eliel Saarinen in 1927 and Saarinen became Director in 1932. Two of its graduates were Charles Eames and Florence Schust Knoll. Saarinen and Eames collaborated on various projects, culminating in a range of furniture that won first prize at an exhibition held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in 1940 entitled, "Organic Design in Home Furnishings." After 1946, however Eames went to work for Herman Miller; Saarinen became associated with Knoll Associates. A number of Saarinen`s chairs for Knoll were to become landmarks in the history of 20th century design
Vintage Burke Star Trek Style Side Chair

1960`s Design

Molded Fiberglass
4 Star Base; Swivel Mechanism
Wine Vinyl Cushion

This Style of Burke Chair Was Used On The Set of Star Trek in The 60`s

LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 2:29 am  

Bull
Saarinen designed the Tulip table for Knoll. Burke copied the design, but changed the feet to avoid a lawsuit. While Burke pieces are certainly influenced by Saarinen, they were never designed by him.
As to value - they are worth anywhere from $100 to $1000 depending on condition and location.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 3:46 am  

I sold
a Burke table and six chairs for $700 USD and was happy to get it. They are a knockoff, no matter how much you may wish they were not.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 3:49 am  

This website / seller
Often uses questionable wording tactics and ambiguous implications. If you ask the seller directly, he will likely tell you that these chairs were not actually designed by Saarinen.

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
24/08/2009 4:31 am  

ditto on the Bull.
Well put Woody. It seems to be a common tactic to give less desired
pieces of furniture a bit of value. Word play.
Someone will buy it at more than it is worth.
At least it is original and not a Burke bad repro. : )
I doubt we'll be seeing many of those but who knows.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@sallypackardrocketmail-com)
24/08/2009 5:23 am  

Burke, Inc Saarinen style dining table and chairs
Thanks to all who replied. I always regarded this set as a fun knock off. I love mid-century things even if they are the department store version. I am interested in buying something different so I want to sell this set. I will be sure to call it what it is.

ReplyQuote
ModPadGirl
(@modpadgirl)
25/12/2011 8:25 pm  

Burke chairs for our 2011 Christmas present
We found 4 Burke (knock off tulip) chairs at a consignment store for $300. Padded seats are in good condition (2 green, 1 orange,1 yellow. We have all those colors in our place so they fit in great.) I touched up the knicks on the white 4-prong bases with appliance paint. They all swivel but some easier than others. (Would a squirt of WD40 help?) Nice addition to our retro-mod living room.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
25/12/2011 9:19 pm  

I've always kind of liked thi...
I've always kind of liked this set in a kitschy kind of way. Enjoy them. I would consider keeping a set if found at the right price. In no way a replacement for the elegance of Saarinen however! I think it would need some other campy stuff around it. A bearskin rug? Maybe one of those space age fireplaces?

ReplyQuote
ModPadGirl
(@modpadgirl)
26/12/2011 11:19 pm  

If course we have other "kitchy" stuff!
No bearskin rug (our cats would use it for getting rid of hairballs!) But besides some of the whimsical items we have (a cross-stitched flower-power "picture" framed in chrome and glass) we actually have a higher end Lucite bench and matching console (white with clear)from a mid-century store in Lauderdale. We love all the white against turquoise and chartreuse walls!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@welch-allisongmail-com)
26/03/2012 12:55 am  

Burke, Inc. table and chairs (tulip)
I have this table and chair set, but the chairs are starting to break at the swivel mechanism. Can anyone lead me to where I might find replacement parts? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Benjamin - NC
(@benjamin-nc)
31/07/2013 9:04 pm  

Swivel mechanism for Burke propeller pedestal
Maggiewel --
Were you able to find any sources for repair of the Burke pedestal?
My mother has 6 of the Burke tulip chairs with the propeller swivel - 4 without arms and two with - and one of the arm chairs is getting wobbly. It appears to me that the shaft inside the swivel base has gotten bent (my father, who was a large, strong man, sat in it very heavily during the last few years of his life when his health was declining). I haven't found parts online or any way to dissasemble and repair the chair; my best thought so far is to find a used one somewhere with a stable base, and simply replace the base.
If you've found a better solution, or have been able to disassemble and repair the base, please do let me know.
Thanks much!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register