Design Addict

Cart

Staying in Denmark ...

Staying in Denmark (West-Jutland) for a week, what to visit?  

RSS

bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/07/2022 11:53 pm  

Hi all,

I'm staying in Denmark later this month, next to the city of Kjern (West-Jutland). I've often bought and collected Danish furniture and still do. Who can deliver me some tips or advice concerning shops or buying in the region. And are there furniture producing companies still active, which may be visited?

Thanks in advance!

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
04/07/2022 4:49 pm  

@bj Kjern is very close to Ringkoebing. There you find House of Finn Juhl. The town is very nice, there's a great HoFJ showroom and you can try and make an appointment with the company. It's absolutely worth visiting although they don't produce seating there, just tables, some cabinets and maybe the panel system as far as I remember. Another company quite near is Kjaellerup vaeveri, the last weaving workshop in Denmark. Very nice guys, very interesting tour. Getama in Gedsted is also not too far away. Problem might be that in Denmark many companies close on holiday, so you better check with them directly. But in general, these companies are very open when it comes to visitors.  Or you go to Fredericia and visit Brdr Petersen, also a very cool place. I assume you have a car?

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/07/2022 10:37 am  

Hi Herringbone,

Many thanks for your reply, gives me leads and starting points for further searches! Indeed we are staying in a cottage the first week of august, so we have to consider the danish holidays. I've made contact with HFJ & Kjellerup-Vaeveri, we'll see what comes through. Concerning secondhand shops, I believe these are called Genbrug in Danish? But this translates more likely as a salvation army. 
We do have a car, but with two children of 7 & 9 don't want to travel more than one hour from the cottage. So my 'playing area ' is Holstebro, Silkeborg, Billund, Ringkoebing.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
07/07/2022 12:55 pm  

@bj HFJ and Kjellerup seem to be your first choice then. Hope it works out. As far as second hand shops are concerned, even the little towns usually have one or two but I don't remember finding anything useful in them. The ones I've visited were full of rubbish, maybe some lesser quality teak stuff must mostly ugly 70s and 80s furniture. It can certainly be fun to dig through all the dirt and maybe there is something to find but it's probably best to lower your expectations. Danes usually know what their stuff is worth.  

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register