Cart

Panton Ball Lamp/Wo...

[Solved] Panton Ball Lamp/Wonder Lamp  

RSS

julijavm
(@julijavm)
25/07/2022 6:56 pm  

Hello, I am new to this forum. 

My deceased father loved Verner Panton and collected many of his items. 

I was thinking about selling his white Ball Lamp. It is so lovely, but I unfortunately don’t have the room for it. I do not know the worth of it,  I think it is not in mint condition  

I am one hundred percent sure it is not fake, but still maybe someone can help me estimate the value? Or tell me what to look for.

Kind regards 

1658768165-D65B42A2-9DC8-4C19-9DDC-0D78EFC97462.jpeg
This topic was modified 1 year ago by julijavm

objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
14/08/2022 10:40 pm  

If you want to see what it sells for then put it up for auction.

How about showing other pieces in the collection?

ReplyQuote
Yalloh
(@yalloh)
05/09/2022 10:35 am  

Dear Julijavm (I don't know your name !)

My name is Alexandre and I live in Montreuil (suburbs of Paris, France). We happen to have a Panton suspension in our living room, it's a VP Globe 50 but the inferior part fell and broke so we are looking for a new suspension (you can see on the picture attached). Ideally a Panton one 😉 The one of your father is absolutely gorgeous and I think it would fit perfectly. But I am not sure if you sell it and at which price ? If you have a minute to answer me it would be super kind. And also where from would you ship it ?

Have a great day,

Merci !
Alexandre

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
02/12/2022 10:35 pm  

Hi.

That is a very rare and valuable Panton lamp so don't fall for cheap tricks to try to make you sell it for cheap.
Especially sharks who says they need a new lamp in their home since the old one is broken....
We don't really discuss prices here but its not a cheap lamp and is probably worth alot more than you think.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
04/12/2022 8:25 pm  

Re: cheap cheap, value, scarcity, demand etc.  

Why should such a lamp cost thousands of dollars? Isn’t it a bunch of plastic balls strung together? Lamp aside, couldn’t a first year design student approximate the sculpture with materials from the dollar store? 

Valuable I can understand.. but intrinsic value outside of fashion.. dunno. I’m not your market.

Why not just list it on design addict and sell it if that’s the premise of the question 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
07/12/2022 12:00 pm  

@objectworship The question you raise is the same as: Why should a Picasso painting be worth $200 million, anyone can paint the few strokes and it doesn't even look nice. I'm afraid there is no point in having this debate, it leads nowhere.

@julijavm We are not discussing values here, but I understand the problem an heir has when he inherits valuable design pieces and is reluctant to sell them for a sum that may be significantly too low. Probably the only help that can be given is: watch auctions and see how much the pieces are trading for. In this particular case, I see five-figure sums there in some instances. Another option for rare pieces would be to contact an auction house that specializes in modern furniture and ask them for estimates of value. Many auction houses offer such appraisals - in the hope that the pieces will then sell with them.

But @objectworship is right. You can also list it here and see what happens. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
08/12/2022 7:20 pm  

That’s not the same question at all!

What’s the lamp do when it’s turned on? Does it do something cool?

What specifically about the lamp makes it so particularly valuable?

Why is simple feature/benefit analysis on this so much like pulling teeth if the thing is so great?

ReplyQuote
julijavm
(@julijavm)
08/12/2022 9:58 pm  

Hello everyone, thank you for all of your replies. 

I am so sorry, I did not know that prices should not be discussed in this forum. I did not know how to find out about the price and was not ready yet to talk to a vendor. I know much more about the lamp now and some people even made offers. 

I really love this lamp and the design of it. That might just be, because I grew up with it and know how much it meant to my father. But in general I am also very fascinated by how it is constructed and how everything feels kinda intricate about it. 

I will close the thread then. I think if people still want to discuss the ball lamp they can in a different part of the forum, right? 🙂

Again, thank you so much for all your input. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
09/12/2022 1:55 pm  
Posted by: objectworship

That’s not the same question at all!

What’s the lamp do when it’s turned on? Does it do something cool?

What specifically about the lamp makes it so particularly valuable?

Why is simple feature/benefit analysis on this so much like pulling teeth if the thing is so great?

@objectworship

As you know, value is often not based on rational arguments. A Chieftain made by Niels Vodder is not necessarily superior in practicality to an Ikea armchair, with the exception perhaps that it is better made, the leather is of a higher quality, and the wood is better selected. But in principle it is a chair. The Clam by Arnold Madsen was sold in the 90s for a few hundred dollars, now it is traded for 20,000 and more. In this respect, the design market works just like the art market. Panton falls into this category. The lamps are well made and produced to a high standard, but of course it's not the material value that you are paying for. It's about the name of the designer, it's about the rarity of a sought-after product, and it's about the quasi-mystical closeness to the creator that is inherent in originals. That's why a Chair by Johnannes Hansen will always be worth more than an identical chair that you've recreated with hand tools in your own workshop. I understand that you reject this concept and that this is the point of your post. And whether it has to be that way is of course debatable, but it's the reality. Man is not rational, nor is the art and design lover. By the way, capitalism also makes use of this effect.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
09/12/2022 6:57 pm  

Were it mine I’d try a pink bulb in it

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
09/12/2022 8:41 pm  
Posted by: julijavm

Hello everyone, thank you for all of your replies. 

I am so sorry, I did not know that prices should not be discussed in this forum. I did not know how to find out about the price and was not ready yet to talk to a vendor. I know much more about the lamp now and some people even made offers. 

I really love this lamp and the design of it. That might just be, because I grew up with it and know how much it meant to my father. But in general I am also very fascinated by how it is constructed and how everything feels kinda intricate about it. 

I will close the thread then. I think if people still want to discuss the ball lamp they can in a different part of the forum, right? 🙂

Again, thank you so much for all your input. 

Yeah, don't sell it to cheap if you indeed are going to sell it. I would make you a very substantial offer for it, but I believe an auction would be the best place to sell it.
Its a model Type G from the manufacturer Luber so you know.

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
10/12/2022 3:24 am  

I somehow have a sudden urge to play ping-pong and have no idea why.

Or maybe it's beer-pong. I'm not sure. Is it Friday yet?

Sorry, too many balls in the air lately.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
12/12/2022 8:35 pm  

In this corner

1670873714-7C82784E-CA35-4B06-84D1-A7F789362D4A.jpeg
1670874258-789FE271-DAF4-4FA6-8C60-4FEACC0B5F05.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working