Design Addict

Cart

Opinions on AJ Egg ...

Opinions on AJ Egg Chair  

RSS

(@drturbo)
19/08/2019 3:12 pm  

Hello everyone

I recently aquirred 2 authentic, but old AJ Egg chair with ottoman. I will keep the ottoman to complement my recently refurbished AJ Egg chair.

The question is, and I know this maybe the wrong attitude, how do I make the most dollars out of them?

I paid 5000$ for the pair with ottoman. Not the best deal I've ever done.

One chair is with swing, and apparaently very old, most likely from 1964. No sticker. Still the foam is intact, but it is disintegrating and falling apart.

The other is younger, with 2 piece base with swing and tilt,  and FH logo cast in the base. This one has a totally collapsed foam, upholstery is intact. 

Both are in wool, color "oatmeal".

My plan so far is to ship the oldest to Denmark and have it redone in Cognac leather.

The other, redone locally in a grey Hallingdal 130 wool fabric, that looks wonderfull, and offers great comfort. 

Opinions? pro's and con's?

Chairs and myself is located in Norway

thanks in advance!

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Drturbo

_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
20/08/2019 11:30 am  

It looks like with your purchase price plus the cost to have the chairs upholstery redone professionally will already add up to a lot.

A brand new AJ Egg chair  in leather retails (in the USA) somewhere in the $16-18,000 & only the vintage examples in original excellent untouched condition can command as much as the new ones.  Maybe  examples in as found fair condition but has an excellent provenance can also compare but not guaranteed that it will sell for that much.

Where it will be sold & the current conditions of the market will determine if you can still make a good profit with your purchase cost plus the costs to have your chairs redone professionally.  Serious collectors have no interest in examples that had work done no matter how good it was redone.  You also have competition from all the look alikes that had flooded the market in recent years.

ReplyQuote
(@drturbo)
20/08/2019 6:46 pm  

Thank you for advice. Brand new an AJ Egg will cost around 6300$ in Norway. Cost of wool upholstry is around 1400$. Leather is 1900$. 

Selling one in wool for 5000$ and the other in leather for perhaps 7000$ ( retail 12000$ last I checked). 

Should leave med with a decent profit.

Really do not like to see these as profit only, but at the moment that is the only option.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register