Noma Cph Møller 62s

Noma Cph Møller 62s  

RSS

Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
25/05/2020 11:45 pm  

Hi all,

I was trawling the internet as I usually do, and spotted some of the Noma Møller 62s and decided to take a quick look. The 62 isn't my favourite design but the finish is interesting with its intentionally distressed and fumed oak. I am trying to justify my curiosity, I don't know why.

Upon looking at the stamp on the rail, I noticed something odd. The rail didn't appear to be the beech, I'd expect. In fact I wasn't even sure it was real wood. Compound timber isn't strong enough for rails is it?

Could anyone shed some light on what this material is?

Kyle

1590443130-256900f3-adff-4564-9ff6-819d925dd0b1.jpg

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
26/05/2020 7:23 pm  

Hi Kyle, welcome back! I sincerely doubt it's an "engineered" wood product. If the visible frame is indeed fumed oak, it's possible that the beech seat rails may have picked up an uneven gray-ish cast during the ammonia fuming process. The other possibility would be mildew stains from being stored in a high-humidity environment like a basement (do I notice a bit of rust on the upholstery staples?).

ReplyQuote
Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
26/05/2020 7:58 pm  

Thanks for the welcome back! 

Yes, I am really not sure, I might end up spending some more time looking if there's any other stamp pictures from the Noma chairs. I didn't think engineered wood would be sufficiently structurally strong, especially to be used for something like a rail that requires it not be brittle in the centre.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register