Cart

mid century sofa go...

mid century sofa goodwill find today. kroehler avant sofa  

RSS

difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
23/10/2014 2:25 am  

I found and bought this sofa today. its a kroehler avant sofa. It needs to be reupholster and new foam in the butt cushions which i might try a go at it. good frame and has teak legs. pretty uncommon to find something like this in columbus ga

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
23/10/2014 2:45 am  

Nice find!  I just redid the companion chair to that, plus another Avant lounge chair.  They are well-made pieces.
The legs aren't teak, though--they are some kind of fruitwood, I think.  The legs on one of the ones I did had been stripped and sanded down (having had some hideous dark tinted varnish added in the past, so stripping was necessary).  They were a very blond color.  The legs on the other had the original teak-toned stain and laquer or varnish over that, which is probably what yours are.  Still, very nicely done and good quality.
Love the curve on the ends!  

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
23/10/2014 2:53 am  

I'd just have it professionally cleaned, and enjoy it as-is!  Just drape a simple garmet  (or strips of bacon) over the armrests.    I'm diggin' it.  

Best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
23/10/2014 5:35 am  

i am thinking its teak. has the right grain and color. ill find out when i sand the legs from the smell of it. ill give a go at cleaning the fabric. it doesnt have any musky smells which is a first. my old roomate bought a kroehler pull out sofa for 50$ and the thing smell so bad they left it outside to air out for a solid month.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
23/10/2014 8:05 am  

Yeah, they have cotton batting for the padding and that stuff absorbs a lot of odors.  Fortunately it's easy to replace.
Yes, the grain of whatever that is looks like teak.  And they got the color just right.  I don't think American manufacturers used much teak, if any, though.

ReplyQuote
difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
23/10/2014 8:54 am  

i will post some close up of the legs tomorrow to show grain and color.

i like button tuffing but this kroehler avant sofa is way over the top and  it overpowers everthing else. If i try a go at upholstery work i will be aiming for something like this this picture which has a slightly similar overall form.

i think its possible to clean it up and have it look somewhat like some of folke ohlsson dux sofas with the right fabric

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register