Madsen and Schubell

Madsen and Schubell  

Page 3 / 16
  RSS

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
22/07/2019 10:48 pm  

Wow, Lexi. I still have to confirm this but the catalogue looks pretty much like the full M&S program. Great!

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
22/07/2019 11:44 pm  

Also good job @wesemael! But one thing here really puzzles me: There is one chair in the catalogue that looks like the Ditzel „Oda“ chair. I‘d even say it IS the Ditzel chair, but the catalogue probably reads Madsen en Schubell Kopenhagen as far as I can tell (same problems as you have, Lexi). What do we make of it? Did Madsen and Schubell produce an exact copy under their own brand? Or are the chairs that are sold as Nanna Ditzel chairs not Nanna Ditzel chairs? Can we also solve this riddle?

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/07/2019 3:50 am  

The sketch makes it pretty clear that the Madsen & Schubell Nursing chair has an integrated headrest ‘bump’. And the headrest bump version is shown in the catalog along with what appears to be a nearly complete Madsen & Schubell offering. What this says to me is that Madsen & Schubell did copy the Ditzel Nursing/Oda chair and there are a great many Madsen & Schubell chairs for sale now and that have sold as Nanna Ditzel. Bump. Ouch. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/07/2019 10:05 am  

Would be nice to know if there are any noticeable differences and if you can tell from a photo which is which. 

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
24/07/2019 5:30 am  

The photos of the Oda / Nursing chair on the Furniture Index are definitely different than a lot of the chairs being offered as the design. And those other chairs have a headrest bump (and a few other features) just like the Madsen & Schubell. So I think they are the M&S.  

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
24/07/2019 12:29 pm  

Brdr Petersen have been reproducing the Ditzel chair since 2011. They do it with a bump. I would guess that they made sure their design was the original. 

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
14/08/2019 6:29 pm  

@herringbone; Just thought I would post this image to add to the Madsen&Schubell portfolio!

Model 71 with tilting footstool. All sitting pretty on the matching coffee table. ( cushions are probably from some other chair)

Lexi.

1565800154-later-model-by-ms-furniture-shows-footrest-and-coffee-table.jpg

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
16/08/2019 2:14 pm  

@lexi That is great.

This topic still has a big story to it. But to back that story further we need a fully readable copy of the Bovenkamp catalogue. Do you know a place where To look or ask for it? Or maybe @wesemael has another source? 

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
16/08/2019 3:57 pm  

@herringbone sorry i have no other source the dealer i mentioned earlier did not respond (thank for yopur earlier complimentHerringbone Just cameback fromwalking in the southern french alpes) 

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
16/08/2019 4:12 pm  

@lexi Yes the two pages  you pasted an copied? madsen and schubel are named as designers

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
16/08/2019 4:26 pm  

a link

http://www.albertusperk.nl/eigenperk-artikelen/2016-1%20Van%20den%20Bovenkamp%20Stijlmeubelen.pdf

however the text at the foto says "naar ontwerp madsen en schubel"  wich can mean  'original design by" but reading the text i would say it refers to the fact that the designs were licened by bovenkamp

1565965608-imagingService.jpg

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
16/08/2019 4:41 pm  

and lexi the dealer whoposted the photo off thecatalogue

https://deskgram.net/p/1927647356922999136_4102221821

sold the chair with the names madsen and schubel  i take it he qouted corectly  ihad no  reply from him and did no see the cataliogue live

as a reation to your remarks question on page two

i read only now beeing away foor 4weeks

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
16/08/2019 4:52 pm  

@herringbone i researched the national archive wich keeps archives of company's also campany'swich dont exist anymorebut no luck Noluch eithre with archive on art and desig in the netherlands 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
29/08/2019 7:15 pm  

Ok, so here‘s the story about model 9. We have all reason to believe, that the chair doesn’t only look like the Oda chair by Nanna Ditzel. Model 9 almost certainly IS the Oda chair by Nanna Ditzel. Which of course indicates, that the Oda chair, which fetches pretty high prices as a Nanna Ditzel original, was in fact never designed by Nanna Ditzel but by Arnold Madsen for Madsen and Schubell. Why do we think this?There is no historical record, that Nanna Ditzel had something to do with it. Leif asked her daughter: nothing. He asked Peter Kjelgaard at Bruun Rasmussen: nothing. I asked Brdr Petersen who produce the chair: nothing. The chair is supposed to have been originally produced by Paul Kolds savværk. But no ad from Kold for this chair has appeared nor is the chair mentioned in any catalog as a Nanna Ditzel. There is only one source for the  Ditzel credit: the Japanese expert Prof. Oda, who wrote about it in his major book about Danish chairs. But after weeks of research we have to assume that his attribution is wrong. We have documentation that the chair was produced by Madsen and Schubell. We have Flemming Schubell, who was involved in the production of the chair at M&S and who identifies photos of old Ditzel chairs as probably  being M&S. And we have no recorded connection to Nanna Ditzel. The fine folks at Brdr Petersen have been producing and marketing the chair since 2011 as a Ditzel design. They have acknowledged the lack of documentation  already and changed their info on the chair on their Website. Which is a respectable thing to do.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
29/08/2019 7:17 pm  

@lexi and @wesemael Thanks again. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 16
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register