The last thing you acquired #20  

Page 2 / 9
  RSS

cadodream
(@cadodream)
Trusted Member
15/05/2013 1:38 am  

At last !
Been tracking it for a long time, and you know what, I'm happy like Droopy.
Some severe ring marks on the top.
I cleaned what I can with dewaxer / dirt remover. But the steel wool lighten some parts.
Miracle, I got the patina back by coating danish oil unenvenly.
I fear to sand it, it's veneer.
Any advice ?
(if clean the ring marks mean loosing the rich colour, I'd prefer to leave it as it is)
Cheers

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/05/2013 9:24 pm  

Good day yesterday
Picked up a Kagan coffee table won from an eBay listing. Definitive attribution has been elusive online, but it gets referenced often as from the Radius line, and sometimes as part of his collaboration with Selig.
Also got my personal best craigslist score of a Vinde Mobelfabrik flip-top teak vanity (model #128) with a Moller 80A cord stool. The stool does have a poorly-repaired leg that needs attention and a little cord fraying/breaks.
The vanity matches nicely with a VM gentlemen's dresser I already had (seen in the background).

ReplyQuote
Peef
 Peef
(@peef)
15/05/2013 11:40 pm  

A danish wall mount kitchen...
A danish wall mount kitchen scale (not my picture, but same one) the orange part pulls down and becomes a tray.
and this lamp, not in the best condition but it was cheap and I love it

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
16/05/2013 3:47 pm  

Your table
Love that table. Can I ask what you gave for it? It is a Kurt Östervig isn't it? I had two of his coffe tables but I think his dining tables are fabulous.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2013 10:29 pm  

This
Vintage Eames Time-Life walnut stool.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/05/2013 11:04 pm  

cadodream:
what caused those stains? I have had exceptionally good success restoring veneer tops by scraping with a razor blade.
If it is something that didn't cause discoloration all the way through the veneer, it can be fixed with razor scraping.
Using a razor blade requires very strong fingers and extreme attention to detail, and a lot of time, but other than that there isn't anything overly complicated. The key is that the razor blade takes off a very small amount of wood with each pass. You'd probably have to scrape the same spot 500 times to get through the veneer, which would be a LOT of work. With a sander you can blast through the veneer in seconds when the doorbell rings.

ReplyQuote
cadodream
(@cadodream)
Trusted Member
18/05/2013 1:51 am  

Leif
I really wouldn't know what caused the stains. I'll never know the previous owner so...But don't forget the desk was designed for kids. So it could be a lot of substances...
Razor blade? I sure wouldn't have thought of that.
Do you place the blade parallely to the veins, or just gently rub the surface with it?
Last question with your method?
Does it let a little discoloration like what I had when I tried with 0000 steel wool?
(though this was easy to catch up with danish oil)
Cheers

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2013 5:05 am  

cadodream:
In terms of what caused the stain, I am wondering if there are any clues, maybe an oily feel if it was oil. Funny smell, maybe? It looks like oil or wax, but the photo is blurry, and photos can be hard to read Just trying to figure out how deep.
As to razor blade scraping: you only scrape in the direction of the grain. You hold the blade perpendicular to the grain, and almost perpendicular to the table (with the blade tilted slightly away from the direction of scraping, so it can't cut down and in). You absolutely do NOT want to cut with the blade, or slide the blade sideways or the razor will cut very deep. (It is similar to shaving. If you move the razor sideways you will cut yourself immediately. But in shaving the razor points forward with the motion).
When done right you will get a bunch of incredibly thin wood shavings in front of your blade with each stroke.
I should probably document the process next time I refinish a piece....

ReplyQuote
bellwethr
(@eusticegmail-com)
Reputable Member
18/05/2013 10:53 am  

A good week...
Lots of finds this week...
A Wegner sewing table for Andreas Tuck that needs refinishing...
John Follis and La Gardo Tackett pots for AP (Vessel USA repros, but still gorgeous.)
And the kicker...
This Peter Voulkos pot at our local thrift store

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
18/05/2013 11:07 am  

Wow
I love pottery but don't know near enough to I.D. them. Complicating that is the extremely high # of art potters here in Oregon. I already buy too much...

ReplyQuote
bellwethr
(@eusticegmail-com)
Reputable Member
18/05/2013 11:28 am  

@waffle -- we're just...
@waffle -- we're just starting to pick pottery up here (We're also in the PacNW) for the same reason. There's just so much of it... we lucked out with this piece, and had awesome air support from Twitter friends.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@trittiumgmail-com)
Trusted Member
18/05/2013 11:17 pm  

B&B Sectional and Table/Chairs
Mario Bellini, found in Goodwill.
http://mod2mod.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tim-benzingergmail-com)
20/05/2013 9:08 pm  

Poul Hundevad cart and Egon Eiermann folding chair
Does the Egon Eiermann chair looked to be the bleached rosewood seat / seat back version?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@paulannapaulanna-homechoice-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2013 6:42 pm  

Lights
Six nice 50s light fittings

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2013 7:10 pm  

mod2mod blog
trittium,
I reviewed your entire blog and you have made some very good finds at Goodwill. Congratulations.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register