Design Addict

Cart

Kipp Stewart Drexel...

Kipp Stewart Drexel Declaration Dresser  

RSS

Jaymac
(@jaymac)
16/01/2022 11:08 am  

I have found in Australia what I think may be a Drexel declaration 8 drawer dresser (4 drawers on top and 4 larger underneath),  from what research I’ve done it was made in Walnut. To help conform if it is a Kipp Steward can anyone who has or had one confirm if the sides and top are solid panels (not timber veneer).

Thanks 

tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
16/01/2022 2:17 pm  

These were constructed of walnut-veneered Lumber Core or what you might know as 'blockboard', a type of plywood with a core of edge-glued strips of (then) basswood faced on both sides with thin veneer layers or 'plys'. On the "Declaration" line, this should be visible on the dovetailed ends of the drawer fronts. Top, bottom and side panels of the case are of the same.

Drexel (and many other manufacturers of contract-quality furniture in the US) used this material extensively back in their mid-century heydays probably for its stiffness and screw-holding performance relative to veneer core plywoods as well as reasonable cost.

ReplyQuote
Jaymac
(@jaymac)
16/01/2022 7:44 pm  

Thanks for the feedback.  Almost all of our mid century furniture was the same construction: thin veneer (mostly teak)  over chipboard/ particleboard and in earlier days over ply which was much better against moisture. I think someone here has made a very good copy of the piece but the panels and drawers faces are solid timber (Blackwood I believe), the handles in attached image are not original which were small turned  timber ones not porcelain. I’m going to compare dimensions just to see how close it was. 

1642358682-42693B2A-3A8C-488E-B980-D92D6D56F138.jpeg

tktoo2 liked
ReplyQuote
Jaymac
(@jaymac)
18/01/2022 9:37 am  

All the dimensions are wrong on mine, looks like someone may haves taken a liking to the Kipp design!, even the front rail turns down when it reaches the legs, hopefully can find the real thing one day in Aust.

ReplyQuote
tktoo2
(@tktoo2)
Illustrious Member
18/01/2022 10:56 pm  

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..." -O. Wilde

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register