Kai Kristiansen att...

Kai Kristiansen attributions  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
30/09/2019 2:16 pm  

Did some sleuthing. Found that Kai Kristiansen did not design for Korup. Which means that none of these chairs, which are frequently attributed to him, were designed by Kai Kristiansen.  Source of information: The man himself. Don't know who designed them though. One possibility would be Henning Kjaernulf who definitely drew for Korup at the time. I try to verify more.

1569845795-181103-3.jpg
1569845843-a46f871bacececee236f88eafd733bb5.jpg
1569845893-JJM_9688.jpg
This topic was modified 5 years ago 2 times by Herringbone

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

mark737 and lexi liked
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
14/10/2019 5:38 pm  

@herringbone. How goes the sleuthing?

I am puzzled by the third chair above. I have seen this model so often ,in the past, while doing searches for "curved back" side chairs and is usually found it described as a "ribbon back" chair.

Today I found the same chair with a DUX "imported original" Made in Denmark Label.

Just thought I would share in the hope it might be helpful or maybe throw you a "curve ball". 😏 

Lexi.

1571067521-dux-ribbon-chair-label.jpg

BTW, what about the Model T-21 also known as the "fire" chair? Is that another misattribution?

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
14/10/2019 10:46 pm  

Thanks for asking 😀. Didn‘t really find out anything else yet. I asked about certain pieces but haven‘t got an answer so far. Anyway, the DUX reference is great. I should ask them, last time they were really quick and helpful.

The T21 you mention is a strange thing. Dealers attach this model number to two different chairs. One is model 32 by Schou Andersen. This one was designed by Kai Kristiansen without a doubt. The other one is probably the one you mean, but this one is mysterious because no one ever mentions a producer. I don‘t know who designed it, but I‘ll ask directly - if I ever get an answer to my last questions. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
19/07/2020 12:08 pm  

Here we are: It’s not Kai Kristiansen. 

1595153291-D476EA8E-52D9-43CA-B782-71B85668CF58.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
19/07/2020 12:09 pm  

And this one. And this one. Not Kai Kristiansen.

1595153352-D549D69F-0D6A-41F9-9F4C-63EF24CB4EE5.jpeg
1595153848-DC0B6013-91ED-4FA0-8DEC-4E5E8FAE153F.jpeg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
19/07/2020 12:29 pm  

@herringbone. All very interesting . Also we now know that the third chair, in your first post above, is Model 26 by P Kirkegaard which is probably the inspiration for the last two ( not by Kai Kristiansen 😊 ) 

This is why I love Design Addict; the more you search and share new information ,the more  it leads to the correct attributions re designers and manufacturers.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
23/07/2020 9:26 am  

Here‘s an official rejection of quite a lot chairs which are often attributed to Kai Kristiansen. Some of them are listed above, some are  not. It was shared by Lars Korsgaard Jørgensen, whose father and grandfather used to own Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik.

1595489193-2E86FD11-F6F2-4DAC-B997-790F176C7C4D.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Laurel9987
(@laurel9987)
14/08/2020 9:39 am  

@herringbone I am in awe of the time and research that you've put into this forum.

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out after I read your post. I know that the Korup versions of this chair are definitely not by Kai Kristiansen, but there is still a lot of information that he did design an almost identical chair for Schou Andersen called the model 32. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any real conclusive evidence of this beyond dealer write ups. Could you please clear up whether any chair that looks like this could be a Kai Kristiansen, or all they all misattributed??

1597390985-Screen-Shot-2020-08-14-at-93922-AM.png

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
14/08/2020 6:03 pm  

Dear @Laurel9987, I assume this thread here and this thread here contain all the information that you are looking for. The chair you probably mean is discussed (or mentioned) in the first one, it's model 31 for Schou Andersen although it looks quite different. To my knowledge there is no model Schou Andersen model 32. The pictures you find when you google it all show the Korup chair. It's just a popular mix up, and many dealers don't care as long as the chairs sells. I would really love to find out more about the Korup designs but alas, there are no catalogs available and it's not so easy to contact the family.

The research was done by many members of the forum, by the way.  And by Lars Korsgaard Jørgensen, who is not active here but does a lot of research in regards to Kai Kristiansen.

ReplyQuote
Laurel9987
(@laurel9987)
14/08/2020 8:54 pm  

@herringbone

Thank you for the reply and the information. Good reminder that dealers usually care more about a sale than accurate details. I too would love to learn more about the Korup designers as it looks like they were responsible for multiple popular chair designs.

Also, thanks for the correction that there are many of you involved in this research process. I have been impressed repeatedly by the wealth of information many of you guys possess and admire that all of you put in the time and effort so that correct credit can go to these innovative designers. 

ReplyQuote
aaronny
(@aaronny)
Eminent Member
01/09/2020 12:35 pm  

@Herringbone

Who is Lars Korsgaard Jørgensen, where is he documented? And at what time did Kai Kristiansen make the signatures?

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
02/09/2020 4:58 pm  

@aaronny And who are you? Where are you documented? We all like to share what we know but something like a hello would be nice.

ReplyQuote
aaronny
(@aaronny)
Eminent Member
02/09/2020 8:40 pm  

@Herringbone

I didn't ask for being taught in behavior, but for more background information on your research.
The two "documents" look a bit strange, as if someone had pre-formulated everything and all Kristiansen had to do was sign it, following the motto, I don't know what it says, but it doesn't matter, I'll sign it.
Therefore my question: at what date did he sign it? How old was he?
And who has pre-formulated the documents? One of his family? Or Lars Korsgaard Jørgensen? If so, who is this guy?
I am asking these questions because you wrote above: "... which means that none of these chairs, which are frequently attributed to him, were designed by Kai Kristiansen. Source of information: The man himself."
This is an absolute statement, not easy to accept without more information. All this seems to be too poor to me without more background information, it smells a bit ... well, dubious.

Just take away my doubts.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
03/09/2020 10:37 am  

@aaronny

I don't see it as my job to teach you manners either, but I have the feeling that someone maybe should have done it at some point. This is an established place for discussion, not for demands. I am not sure if I can help you to overcome your doubts, especially since I do not know where they come from and I cannot see the logic behind them. What interest would anyone have in falsely claiming that Kai Kristiansen did not design certain chairs? And what sense does it make to doubt Kai Kristiansen's state of mind just because he has signed a document denying authorship for some designs?
As I wrote above, Lars Korsgaard is the son of the former owner of the Vildbjerg furniture factory. Vildbjerg has worked closely with Kai Kristiansen for decades, he was the only designer for the company, and the families are close friends. Lars has for years been involved in the investigation of false attributions out of interest and passion for furniture design. That is why he meets regularly with Kai Kristiansen, discusses certain designs with him and prepares documents that prove and disprove the attributions beyond any doubt. Kai Kristiansen is 91 years old today but still on business. It's up to you to decide whether you are ready to believe that he still knows what he is doing. If you doubt it, I cannot help you. Unfortunately, time cannot be turned back, he can't be made younger and you will not find a better proof than the statement of the person who is said to be responsible for the design. I don't really understand why such a statement is not easy to accept, but ... whatever.

ReplyQuote
aaronny
(@aaronny)
Eminent Member
03/09/2020 1:17 pm  

Your behavior is pretty dickish, my dear @Herringbone, can you please explain why you doesn't stop to diss me? Just stop it and cool down, thanks.

Back to the topic.

You wrote: "And what sense does it make to doubt Kai Kristiansen's state of mind just because he has signed a document denying authorship for some designs?"

Because the documents are pre-formulated. This is always an indicator that the person who signed was no more able to compose the document by himself. This could lead to the conclusion that he was unable to do so due to his advanced age.

You know, dear Herringbone, the net is full of wrong attributions and fairy tales about designers and their work, so you just added another one, another theory. It's only a theory and not a prove, in my opinion these documents are of no significance.
After what you have previously written about me, I am sure that you will misunderstand my doubts as a personal attack, so please do not get me wrong, I appreciate your commitment to clarification, but you must not make the mistake to believe everything that someone presents to you as so-called evidence, especially not when the documents look so strange and suspicious.
So once more my question: do you know more about the circumstances, who wrote these documents and when did Kristiansen sign it?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register