Hans Wegner's peter...

Hans Wegner's peter's chair table  

RSS

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2019 9:50 pm  
I have found a photo of Hans Wegner's "Peter's chair and table in the following book (Image 1)
Moderne Dansk Boligkunst Vols. 1 & 2 Bernadotte, Sigvard;   Lehm-Laursen, Johs. Skandinavisk Bogforlag, Odense, 1947. Hardback Danish language 

I was surprised to see that the maker was "Madsen " Haarby.( hard to decipher some of the info, but FBD is definitely mentioned)

Decided to do some research .Up popped a "C M Madsen,Haarby.Denmark

So who was C M Madsen?

More Googling and found this link(translated)

http://www.haarbyla.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/C-M-Madsen.pdf&prev=searc h"> https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.haarbyla.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/C-M-Madsen.pdf&prev=search

So to join up the dots.....

Hans Wegner designed the chair and table for Borge Mogensen ( circa mid 40's), as a christening present  for his son Peter, or so the story goes !

Carl Marius Madsen met Borge Mogensen who, at the time, was employed by FDB and a collaboration followed.  Through this collaboration CM Madsen also produced other furniture for both of these designers 

I am familiar with the Carl Hansen version but was completely surprised to find that this design can be found with FDB and Getama makers marks (Lots of marked furniture designs on the web) as well as being attributed to Johannes Hansen for Fredericia Mobelstolfabrik ( image 2 ,courtesy of Oda, Noritsugu; Hans J. Wegner's 100 chairs; Tokyo : Heibonsha; 2002). I am presuming different production timelines/ licensing arrangements/different markets?

Feel free to add your thoughts or any other information OR correct me if I am completely WRONG in my reasoning re "Madsen/C M Madsen" being one and the same entity.

Lexi
1570564203-hans-wegner-for-c-m-madsens-mobelfabriker-e-bay-catalogue-seller-2.jpg
1570564367-oda-book-peters-chair-johannes-hansen-2.jpg
This topic was modified 5 years ago by lexi

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
09/10/2019 10:33 am  

Interesting question. Here’s what I think. Wegner made the chair for Børge Mogensen‘s son in 1944. Mogensen liked it so much, that he included it in the FDB offering. Production started in 1946/47. But at that time FDB didn’t yet have the capacities to produce their furniture on their own. They only bought Tarm stole- og møbelfabrik in 1947.  Up to then they had to outsource production. Probably that is why C.M.Madsen produced Peter‘s chair and table for about a year. Then the new FDB factory took over. But times changed. Wegner‘s friend Mogensen left FDB in 1950, and since Wegner was very picky when it came to who would produce and market his furniture, he probably didn‘t have any further interest to leave the rights with FDB. When SALESCO was born, he restructured licensing agreements. He took the rights away from FDB and handed them over to Getama, where they remained for some time.  Later on, there probably was a time when production stopped completely. I assume that Carl Hansen took over the rights along with many other designs much later on. As far as Johannes Hansen and Fredericia is concerned: There are two possible explanations. First one: Either one of  the companies prototyped the set. The second one (which I even think is more likely): Prof. Oda messed it up. But this is all an educated guess. Maybe our friend @leif-ericson knows more? 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
09/10/2019 1:53 pm  

FDB was a retailer, like Illums Bolighus or Bovirke. They had some 10 different factories making their stuff. CM Madsen was one. Fritz Hansen was one. I probably could dig up some info on the rest. I would very easily believe that CM Madsen made Peter’s chair for FDB. CM Madsen was also briefly a member of Salesco too, which is just an unrelated curiosity.  I would not rely on information provided by Oda.  And the designer generally owned the copyright so Wegner could change the maker at will. 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
28/12/2019 6:10 pm  

@lexi I just happen to read that in 1944 six companies produced for FDB. Fritz Hansen Eftf., Aage Hundevad, CM Madsen, Soren Rasmussen, O. Strøjer and Tarm Stole- og Møbelfabriken. Remembered this thread and thought I‘d let you know.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
28/12/2019 6:37 pm  

@herringbone. Thank you. I like updates !!

Bliain nua shona duit.

Lexi.

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
29/12/2019 10:33 am  

Hi Lexi.

this is what « Den store danske møbelguide » (Per Hansen & Klaus Petersen, Lindhardt og Ringhof, Copenhagen, 2015) says about the Peter set

1577612500-C7CF2F6E-2497-4068-94F0-D19809B86F9F.jpeg

lexi liked
ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
29/12/2019 10:49 am  

@drpoulet. Thanks. That fits in with @herringbone information.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register