Design Addict

Cart

Design newbie--"Mad...

Design newbie--"Made in Yugoslavia" stamp  

RSS

maria68
(@maria68)
08/09/2017 2:32 am  

Hello, I am new to this so pardon if this is a basic question. I found this at a thrift store today--pricey for being a little beat up and wondering what its story is. The stamp underneath says "Made in Yugoslavia". Could someone give me a background of this type of furniture and designer? Is it a knock off from Danish design? Thanks!
1_1.jpg2_1.jpg

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
08/09/2017 4:17 pm  

Yugoslavia produced a lot of Danish Modern style lounge chairs and some other furniture too. One of the most common pieces is the folding lounge chair with woven seat and back that is always referred to as Hans Wegner style. Some things have a nice enough look for the money but the construction is usually not very good.

I have never seen your table before. The base has more of a Danish but the top is disproportionately large. I wonder if someone put the two parts together? It may have been made that way originally, though. It wouldn't surprise me.

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
10/09/2017 8:14 pm  

In the 70s Arne Vodder was assigned for the UN as a design expert in yugoslavia and helped to develop a series of furniture for the company SIPAd, Sarajevo. I'm not saying that this is an Arne Vodder piece but that may explain the danishness of some furniture from former Yugoslavia.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register