Design Addict

Cart

a ahlstrom osakeyht...

a ahlstrom osakeyhtio warkhaus  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@waghorn41hotmail-co-uk)
18/09/2009 1:43 am  

Can anyone help me buy shedding some light on this 'manufacturer'? I have inherited a bureau with their label inside and I think it may be Victorian.
Thanks
Ian

Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
18/09/2009 2:05 am  

I believe it's Swedish. Koen can do better than I, but...
the first 'a' indicates that it's 'from' or 'made by' and Ahlstrom is a name, which means 'Alder Stream'. Lots of Swedish surnames are directly related to a location. For example, my family's is Cederholm, which means 'Cedar Island'.
Warkhaus literally translates to 'work house' meaning manufactering plant. I googled 'osakeyhtio' and found that it's Finnish and having to do with incorporation of companies. So maybe the whole thing is Finnish, but Ahlstrom is definitely a Swedish name.
So it looks like it translates to something like 'Ahlstrom Manufacturing Inc.'

ReplyQuote
jef180 (FIN)
(@jef180-fin)
Trusted Member
18/09/2009 7:14 pm  

A small correction
Actually it is A. Ahlstrom Osakeyhtio Varkkaus (A. Ahlstrom is the founder, Osakeyhtio is Joint-Stock Company and Varkkaus is the place where the the factory was). The company is Finnish.
Alvar Aalto designed easily built wooden houses for Ahlstrom in the 1930's
Here is a raw Google translate from Finnish to English from the page http://www.mfa.fi/ahlstrom - http://www.translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=...
The comapny still exists today - http://www.a-ahlstrom.fi
I would be interesting to see an image of the piece of furniture. I wasn't aware that they made furniture.
http://www.translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=...

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
19/09/2009 12:17 am  

I can understand that Olive...
...got confused. There are a few letters too many. The place is one of the well known pulp manufacturing centres of Finland: Varkaus. Somewhere in sound central Finland along a beautiful lake, I am sure.
A.Alström was much like the Rosenlew, Kihlman and the Serlachius families, part of the Finish industrial elite between the Finish independence from Russia (1919?) and the so called winter war(late 30ties). As Olive points out the name sounds Swedish and the Alström family was indeed part of the often Swedish speaking industrial elite. The Alström family made there way into architectural history when in 1935, Alvar Aalto met and became friends with Maire Alström in connection with his Artek Corporation activity. Maire was not only part of one of the wealthiest families in Finland she was also married to Harry Gullichsen who had been appointed general manager of the A.Alström group.(it?s amazing how such talent is often found within the family). Alvar Aalto, who was more than left leaning politically had already designed a cellulose factory for Gösta Serlachius in Toppila and had some experience in industrial buildings when he was asked by A.Alström?s management to build a number of factories for them including the Karhula glassworks. Maire Alström and Harry Gullichsen also asked him to build their villa in Noormarkku. The projects for A.Alström were not limited to the plants themselves but included homes for the workers and some extensive town planning. In industrial buildings Aalto had learned from Kahn, but for the town planning he relied mostly on his CIAM collegues, Corbusier etc. His long lasting friendship with Maire and through her with Harry introduced Aalto to a small group of politically powerful people that would redirect Finland out of the nationalist fever that came with the newly gained independence, toward the modern social democrat state that it became. Throughout Alvar Aalto?s live both Harry and Maire pop up as important and influential friends. I knew of the prefab wooden housing projects Jef180 mentioned, but I am as surprised as he is about the any furniture manufacturing within the A.Alström group. One would think that wood pulp can not be far from wood itself, but that is not the character of these industrial towns. They were one industry towns, often planned quite artificially in the middle of nowhere?that is close to the resource and close to waterway that facilitate the transportation, but they are quite far from the large population that a furniture factory would want to serve. So I to am anxiously waiting for the picture(e)s

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@simoncrawleycollectionsyahoo-co-uk)
05/03/2012 12:13 am  

Ahlstrom Osakeyhtio Varkaus Furniture
I have a pice of furniture with a blue ink mark on the inside marked with the name of Ahlstrom Osakeyhtio Varkkaus circling and image I think is a tree or forrest.
Can anyone shed some light on my piece of furniture also.
Regards.
Simon Crawley

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2012 12:45 am  

a photo, please!
a photo, please!

ReplyQuote
lyla267
(@lyla267)
13/01/2013 2:57 am  

A.AHLSTROM OSAKEYHTIO WARKHAUS
I've been curious about my awesome buffet/hutch. In a web search I came across this forum. I hope these pictures are interesting to anyone.
We found it at an up-cycled furniture shop in Manchester, WA USA. The gal who owns the business loves to white wash everything.

ReplyQuote
Seabluepink
(@seabluepink)
02/04/2021 6:39 pm  

We have just bought a house and in one of the kitchen draws there is the A. Ahlstrom Osakeyhtio Varkkaus stamp with a 1 and 28 either side.  The kitchen unit also a logo on it but I cannot figure out the letters and wondered if anyone could help.   I have attached a photo of the logo but can only attach one photo so I haven't attached the stamp photo.

1617381598-Capture.png

ReplyQuote
Seabluepink
(@seabluepink)
02/04/2021 6:41 pm  

Here is the stamp photo.

1617381718-Capture2.png

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register