Page 5 / 5
  RSS

SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
21/01/2010 11:07 pm  

I do
not mean in any of my comments to suggest that the norm for any wood-veneered Eames chair would be for the seat and back faces to be made of matched veneer -- that the pieces from the same flitch (thus, the same tree) would be produced and kept together for a single chair. I have seen little if any evidence that this was the case. If not, then we should expect only to see the same specie used throughout a given example, with any matching beyond that the result of either accident or of some care by a particular shift at the production facility.
Thus, my assumption is that there was a conscious decision made to employ a relaxed regimen (which of course would also represent a manufacturing economy) and to allow chance to determine the appearance of each chair. The Eameses themselves may have been a part of this decision -- like many, they may have considered this "serendipity" to reflect the natural order, where, in Nature, trees of different character are found side-by-side in the woods, for instance. And, it may be that the informality of "mix-and-match" wood grains suited their concept of the modern-day liberties taken on many fronts -- and in particular, in a throwing off of the Victorian stuffiness to which all of their work stood in conscious contrast.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@vroom07yahoo-com)
Eminent Member
22/01/2010 2:14 am  

PRE PRODUCTION ?
My two cents worth would say pre production trail.
I have a DCW with legs that are a a green metal(almost looks stained rather then painted . Also came with sworn affidavid stating this man (worker)was asked to come in to a meeting and assemble a chair for a group of suites...he did they took pics and left ...when the employee asked the man incharge what to do with the chair ..it was told to him to throw it out..as he asked if he could keep it a sticker was "slapped" on it and home it went where it sat for 30 some years till I got it.
So there are some weird one offs that were put together for show to boards the "style and form" and quality was not the finest.
Thats my two cents worth!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/01/2010 4:38 am  

Interesting !
What kind of "sticker" does your chair have ? Was the chair one of an identical group ?

ReplyQuote
khus
 khus
(@khus)
Reputable Member
22/01/2010 9:09 am  

all interesting!
Wow-interesting ideas and info! Really enjoy reading and learning-will have to reread the wood cut types so they sink in.
SDR-thanks for the clever thoughts on the drilled back and for sharing your expertise. I have, however, already filled the holes using an epoxy wood filler. I sanded them smooth with hand held paper to avoid just what you describe as a possible pitfall. On the backside, at the shockmount site, I have cleaned and flattened the depression with a Dremmel in order to have an optimal gluing surface. It's almost embarrassing how much time I have already devoted to trying to get this right.
Khus

ReplyQuote
skid
 skid
(@skid)
Trusted Member
22/01/2010 9:10 am  

I have had mahogany that...
I have had mahogany that looks like that.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
22/01/2010 10:01 am  

That
looks like what, skid -- Norm's Jan 20 close-ups of the striped back ? Yes, the color and texture are like some mahogany I've seen.
My ideas about burying a threaded insert in the back are of course completely at odds with the way the chair is actually built. The rubber shock-mount has a threaded insert buried in it, and the rubber is glued to the back of the plywood. Don't know what I was thinking. Got carried away with an idea, I guess.
Thanks for your indulgence. The info about veneer production is more reliable, I hope I can say. . .

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@nicholasoneillbarbergmail-com)
Trusted Member
22/03/2014 9:04 am  

Help me is this DCM wood grain!
Found locally on craigslist. Not sure what kind of wood it is.
Thanks
Nick

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
23/03/2014 12:51 am  

That is BROWN wood, like duh-
That is BROWN wood, like duh-

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: