Where to find/anyon...

Where to find/anyone have a Tulip Table Top  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
04/04/2014 4:56 am  

Hi Forum,

I recently purchased a 42' knoll tulip table, with a laminate top. The top is pretty beat up. It was in an office for many years, and someone once used it as a base for cutting things with an exacto knife.

I'd like to a) fix the top, or b) buy a new top.

Any thoughts, leads?

tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
04/04/2014 6:15 am  

I think it's OK to put new laminate
on top of old with proper preparation and adhesive. Not sure if it would need new counter veneer to balance the lamination or not. I'd probably reach out to a local custom cabinet shop for advice.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@zmgriffithhotmail-com)
Eminent Member
04/04/2014 7:34 pm  

Marble, Maybe?
Depending on the year of production, having a cabinet maker re-laminate the top surface might work, but it would look a little "off."
Recent production from Knoll doesn't have a defined shoulder or seam. It's almost as if the top is dipped in laminate - a seamless transition through the 1/4" round-over into the 45 degree bevel. It's lovely - but wouldn't suit any sort of replacement.
Forget calling Knoll. Love their customer service, but you could buy an entire pre-owned table for what they'll charge you.
Keep an eye on eBay, I bought a 47" Tulip Top with intact sticker for $500 - I had to drive several hours to pick it up, though.
An option worth pricing out would be marble or granite. You could get a replica of your existing top done in marble for less than what Knoll would charge you for an authentic laminate top.
You'll want to get several quotes - they'll vary WILDLY depending on whether or not the craftsman wants to mess with it. I'm lucky in having found an adventurous and game marble guy who fabricated a diamond-honed 16" saarinen side table replacement top to exact Knoll specs for $200.00.
You'll have some control, that way, and can get an exciting piece of marble or granite to customize the table.
Also - having the base stripped and powder coated in a complimentary tone will only run you about $100-150 in most cases. Get several quotes there, as well.
The end result will not be cheap, but it will be a table for the rest of your life - and you'll have had a hand in the design process and can offer an impressive story to anyone who comments on it whilst visiting your home.
OR - just roll with it. Buy a $39 hard-side table pad and forget what it looks like underneath.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
04/04/2014 7:50 pm  

Pictures
to show the vintage character, please.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
09/04/2014 2:49 am  

photos
here ya go

ReplyQuote
HawaiiModern
(@hawaiimodern)
22/08/2014 3:02 am  

Marble side table top
I would love to know who made your top to see if possible to ship me one. Mine is chipped bad and needs a new top.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register