Design Addict

Cart

Wegner Daybed  

RSS

DHutch17
(@dhutch17)
Trusted Member
11/02/2013 8:17 pm  

So I just bought this daybed and I'm very excited about it. It's my first Hans Wegner piece and I'm hoping some of you with a much bigger wealth of knowledge can tell me a little more about it.

DHutch17
(@dhutch17)
Trusted Member
07/03/2013 1:27 am  

So I brought the daybed home...
So I brought the daybed home finally and have polished up the brass and cleaned the wood. VERY EXCITED!
The wood is dry and in need of a little bit of work to make it shine. The auction house where I bought it listed it as rosewood, however I'm only able to find teak and oak examples online. Looking at the wood its a bit darker and has more grain than any teak I have ever seen.
So, knowledgeable forum folks, what is it? Annnndddd how should i proceed?

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2013 9:46 am  

Seems like teak to me.
Maybe afromosia, wich gets a bit darker with age.

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2013 10:19 am  

The frame construction is...
The frame construction is much the same as what Getama used for sofas like the GE-236 and others, with a probably non-tropical wood used for the main structure of the frame, but with a substantial teak trim around the perimeter. If there are paint scuff marks you can take them off with some #000 or #0000 steel wool (which you would not want to use on oak however), then apply either some teak oil or danish oil, letting it stand for about half an hour, then buffing it down with a rag so as not to build up a surface layer. It might take more than one application.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2013 11:25 am  

Interesting, so that's just beech or something with a show edge, I didn't know that was common on this sort of thing, thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/03/2013 4:15 pm  

Moller does the same on their chairs.
The rails are made standard out of beech,
the legs and back are made out of all different kind
of woods, depending on taste.

ReplyQuote
Share: