Design Addict

Cart

She told me it was ...

She told me it was Burke. (Eames Venice DAX)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
03/10/2011 7:17 am  

Hello everyone,

Hope one of you can help me answer a few questions I have about what I picked up today. Saw it in a window for under $100. No label/sticker and the lady told me she thought it was fake because of the "rather large shock mounts" and probably was Burke or something.

I resisted saying anything because I loved it and thought I'd do the research once I got home. Of course, it appears to be the earlier Eames Zenith DAX with the black "x" base designated with a letter "d". The base's hardware appears all original (from my research) and the condition is just fantastic.

Dimensions are true:
31" H (almost - no glides)
18" to the seat
25" W (almost at it's widest points)

So I guess my first real question is whether the shell is authentic to the base? Have the mounts been redone? Without a label is there anyway to authenticate the year of the shell? There's no rope edge but I think maybe it would fall under a 2nd year production as I've read about. It's an interesting light olive/mint green in color (hard to represent with a photo) and a bit on the grayish side. Maybe somewhat greige?

She told me the mount was original as when she acquired it. By the look of the few bits of rust around the mount contact, it seems like it's completely natural and no separate job was done.

I'm guessing this is around 1953 if things check out? And I believe the glides are missing? I've seen this online with no glides and nobody made mention of it but I would think it needs the angled boots I could pick up from Graham Mancha Design.

Thank you all.

J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
04/10/2011 4:17 am  

Expertise...
Really hope someone can share with me their expertise on this piece or any thoughts they may have regarding the date/authenticity and if it does require glides.
Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Killian
(@killian)
Illustrious Member
04/10/2011 4:32 am  

Hi J.J give it at least...
Hi J.J give it at least 24hours. Im sure there are plenty of people who can help but most will be in the US and seeing this later today.

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
04/10/2011 4:58 am  

Thanks Killian
Great advice. The anticipation got the best of me.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
04/10/2011 5:19 am  

Observations
Color is Greige.
The large shock mounts look like they may not be original. This is judging from the residual epoxy around the mounts. Another way to discern would be to remove the base and look for matching indentations in the mounts.
The shell itself does not have the highly visible, long fiber strands that are typical of the first and second generation Zenith shells.
Replacement boot glides (aftermarket) can be found on eBay occasionally, at a reasonable cost. In fact, there are some listed right now.

ReplyQuote
Honus_Wenger
(@honus_wenger)
Estimable Member
04/10/2011 5:47 am  

Venice
With no embossing, those particular shockmounts, original slot screws, and that particular base...I would say original Venice. You are missing the rectangular red label. I have a Venice side shell with the same base/screws and "D" mark. Nice find.

ReplyQuote
spacepirate1
(@jonjbayareayahoo-com)
Honorable Member
04/10/2011 6:08 am  

The chair looks legit.
The chair looks legit.

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
04/10/2011 6:43 am  

Some more detail
To your response Woody, maybe I can upload a few more close-up shots of the fibers. I wasn't sure if you meant just unscrew the base or actually remove the shock mounts entirely? I'd be incredibly hesitant to do that.
If there are any other recommendations, I'm open to explore them to help validate it. The Venice thing has me intrigued as well but with Woody's thoughts I'm still on the fence.
Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
04/10/2011 6:49 am  

No
I meant unscrew the base from the shock mounts and look for impressions in the rubber.

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
04/10/2011 6:56 am  

On my way to do that
Thanks Woody.
I'll do that, take some shots and get them uploaded so we all can take a peek. Sorry for the confusion, I'm a lover of simple and modern design but new to any restoration techniques and MCM in general so I appreciate your clarification.

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
04/10/2011 7:10 am  

Base Removed
Here's with the base removed.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2011 9:40 am  

Odd...
I'm on the fence with this one. Normally greige isn't as fibery as other colors. But I honestly can't say those fibers look like the Venice variety to me. And while the shockmounts look proper, woody is right about the epoxy. I've seen alot of these chairs and not one of them has shown such a messy epoxy job. Looks like a DIY...
Maybe the shocks were taken off a wrecked Zenith/Venice shell and transplanted onto this shell?

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2011 12:15 pm  

nevertheless, a nice looking...
nevertheless, a nice looking chair, J.J. and at that price you can't lose!

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
06/10/2011 7:56 am  

Venice & Glides
Thanks Lunchbox.
I wanted to mention that only one mount has a little bit of residual epoxy that appears "sloppy." It has a smudge if you will outside the contact point. It might have seemed that way because I think I posted more than one photo of the same mount. I guess we could take that under consideration because the other 3 seem quite well done compared to other authentic Venices (with black epoxy) that I've researched.
Another thing I carefully noticed is where the Venice label typically is I almost see a slight yellowing in the same location. If I look rather closely and quite hard there's seems to be something below the edge on the underneath front part of the seat. I should get some more detailed fiber pics up too probably.
By the way, anyone have suggestions on glides for this? Should there be any and is it in my best interest to pick some up?
It's my very first Eames chair and we're just so happy to have it.

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
06/10/2011 8:10 am  

Ebay Venice
Hey guys,
Just came across this and thought I'd share. A Venice is on Ebay right now and its base resembled mine to a tee. Similar rust patterns to mine around the mounts and on the inside washers. Practically identically to mine when I brought her home. Though since yesterday, I've cleaned it up a bit.
So what struck me was the back mounts have some epoxy showing more loosely when you look at his photo enlarged. I grabbed it so here it is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charles-Eames-Herman-Miller-fiberglass-shell-arm...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register