Cart

Reupholstery questi...

Reupholstery question  

RSS

Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2010 10:28 pm  

Full length Knoll sofa. What kind of yardage am I looking at for reupholstery? 9-10 yards? Thanks in advance.

Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2010 11:36 pm  

Not a simple answer, Lunchbox
You need to account for the pattern repeat, if there is one. Then you need to know if the pattern is straight or 'railroaded', which means it's runs horizontally versus along the length. There's often a 'pattern' in fabric that appears solid, like small knubbles or the weave itself. You have to plan for all the fabric to run the same way, so you often have to buy more so that all pieces can be cut with the fabric in the same orientation. Hopefully, the link below will help you somewhat.
http://www.commercialinteriorsoutlet.com/art5.html

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2010 11:40 pm  

`
12.3 yards of fabric, or 241 sf of leather is what is required to reupholster the FK 91.25" sofa. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 12:19 am  

It might be simple in this case
The high-end manufacturers -- Knoll, Herman Miller, Fritz Hansen, Cassina, etc. -- all offer Customer's Own Fabric (COF) or Customer's Own Leather (COL) upholstery. The amount of fabric or leather needed for each piece is usually specified in the brochures or pricelists downloadable from the manufacturers' websites...

ReplyQuote
Ark of Decorati...
(@one-iotagmail-com)
Noble Member
15/03/2010 1:53 am  

fastfwd said it all
Why ask questions of the general public when you can contact Knoll and specify the exact seating and get a definate answer? Everything eles is opinion, conjecture, and a waste of time. They are in business to "serve" their customers.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 6:24 am  

Ark of the Covenant...
Thanks for your informed and concerned response. It was as if a light suddenly beamed down from the heavens. Call Knoll? Brilliant!
But I digress...
Had I felt like contacting Knoll(a company not known for their customer service, mind), I would've done just that. However Mr. Ark sir, I happen to know a few members here happen to have a bit of experience in just these sorts of things of which I inquire. So with that knowledge, I took the lazy route of posting on a forum in hopes a few friendly members might respond with some helpful information.
Apologies if I put you out.

ReplyQuote
Ark of Decorati...
(@one-iotagmail-com)
Noble Member
15/03/2010 7:29 am  

Lunchbox is correct
Contacting the manufacturer is correct for me. What others do is correct for them. I found the reply amusing. Primative emotional spirit is refreshing!

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 10:44 am  

Knoll not known for customer service?
Really? I'm surprised to hear that.
I've never received anything but excellent customer service from them. In addition to the friendly and helpful service they've given me at their showroom in San Francisco -- from which I've never bought anything -- they've done all this in just the last five years:
a) They replaced a barstool after I called to ask whether its glides could be adjusted to fix a slight wobble. Picked up the old one and delivered the new -- no charge for shipping either way -- even though they knew that I'd only paid 15% of the retail price for the thing at their sale over a year before.
b) A couple years later, after I emailed to ask for replacements for the collapsed rubber bumpers in that barstool and another one, they SENT A GUY TO MY HOUSE to replace them with improved urethane bumpers. No charge.
c) Oh, and they noticed that I'd purchased four barstools and was only asking for two to be fixed. When I told them the other two were 400 miles away in my ex-wife's house, they sent a couple guys to her place, too.
d) They identified the vintage fabric on one of my chairs from a photo I emailed.
e) They sold me new glides for that chair and its ottoman, and for another chair, for less than what those parts cost on Ebay.
f) They gave me -- for free -- a set of hard-floor casters for a desk chair that I'd purchased with carpet casters.
g) When I mentioned in their showroom that I had a non-Knoll chair in need of reupholstery, they recommended an excellent local upholstery guy (who unfortunately has a six-month waiting list, but still).
I don't do enough business with Knoll to get special treatment, so I would have assumed that EVERYONE got this level of service. what sort of bad experiences have you had with them?

ReplyQuote
Ark of Decorati...
(@one-iotagmail-com)
Noble Member
15/03/2010 3:50 pm  

your experience is the same as my experience
I have had nothing but good relations with Knoll and I should also mention Fritz Hansen. Without detailing these issues, I find both of these particular companies to be customer friendly. Perhaps a person with a poor attitude receives the service they expect.
Since time is money asking precise and detailed questions is always a help to people in business. Having an attitude of gratitude is also always welcomed.

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 10:16 pm  

Knoll sucks...
Fritz Hanzen blows...

ReplyQuote
Ark of Decorati...
(@one-iotagmail-com)
Noble Member
15/03/2010 10:55 pm  

great fun - good spelling
It is fun to read posts by people with a wonderful vocabulary and strong spelling skills. I hope to see them on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader". It should be a very short segment.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 10:58 pm  

Bit Rich
from Mr. definate + Primative 😉

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 11:12 pm  

Whoah!
All this over a sofa fabric...my how we've (d)evolved!! 😉

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2010 11:56 pm  

Shush Olive
You know these tiffs are the main reason people return to the forum.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
16/03/2010 12:00 am  

I always thought it was the...
I always thought it was the Mahogany Association Number thread that kept people coming back?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register