Design Addict

Cart

Removing Spraypaint...

Removing Spraypaint From Fiberglass Chairs?  

RSS

skipjo
(@skipjo)
21/02/2015 3:01 pm  

Does anyone have experience with this? I've gotten some Lawrence Peabody chairs that have been completely sprayed over. Two coats to the fiberglass and some on the chrome legs. I've read sanding it down lightly, is that the best way? Won't I take off the finish, too? And if I do take off the finish, what would be best to put it back on?Thank you for any input!

tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
21/02/2015 3:54 pm  

Soy and/or citrus-based paint strippers and plastic spatuls, scrapers, and scouring pads. Try to avoid using metal tools on the fiberglass or abrasives like sandpaper or Scotchbrite pads. Patience is key and multiple applications will likely be necessary. Let the stripper do the work.
Don't forget to wear appropriate safety garb and use caution.

ReplyQuote
skipjo
(@skipjo)
21/02/2015 9:08 pm  

Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
gjbl
 gjbl
(@gjbl)
Eminent Member
23/02/2015 8:22 pm  

To add:  there are a number of great threads in the forum that I found very helpful when tackling the same problem:
http://www.designaddict.com/forum/General-discussion/Help-stripping-pain...
http://www.designaddict.com/forum/General-discussion/Eames-street-find-s...
As per tktoo's great suggestion, I've used Citrus Strip with good results.  It does take a while, but the results are quite good.  As some other posters commented, I found that the temperature does tend to make a big different:  it works best if used when the temperature is > 65.  Other than that, it just takes some time and elbow grease.
I used it to strip 4 chairs that had been spray painted yellow and sat in the waiting area of an auto body repair shop for years.  Underneath were a red orange, grey and two parchment shells, two of which were converted into rockers for the kids.
If you run into any issues, give a shout - happy to help.  Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register