Design Addict

Cart

Mystery Danish Rose...

Mystery Danish Rosewood Secretary Bureau. Arne Vodder? ?  

RSS

Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
06/06/2016 1:19 am  

Hi all,
So I have obtained this very interesting Rosewood Secretary with etched glass and pull out desk surface. We have seen design many places online but none of these shows a definitive maker / Designer. They were made in rosewood and teak and came in similar styles. I have added the different variations in the photos here to help with the identification. It is interesting how such a unique design has gone unattributed to anyone for so long. Ive seen one attributed to Arne Vodder & Anton Borg and another by Ejvind A Johansson by Ivan Gern Furniture. I'm learning toward Arne Vodder but in reality I am unsure either of these designers are correct. Any advise or thoughts would be helpful.

-D

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
06/06/2016 2:25 am  

I would lean away from Vodder. I think there is a good chance it is not a designer piece. The handles are rather generic looking. Or the designer will turn out to be a very unknown name. It might also be Norwegian.
You best bet is to keep looking for the same design and hope for a stamp that identifies the maker and take it from there.
I very strongly doubt the 3rd photo was made by the same maker. Too many important differences (legs, handles, etc).

ReplyQuote
Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
06/06/2016 8:15 am  

Lief,
Thanks for the comment. after doing a little more research, most people are attributing this to Arne Vodder for Sibast and I can see why. The top drawers, guides and the legs are all similar. This does not appear to be a cheaply made piece or a mass produced piece. The joinery and production are all fairly well done and complex. I attached a few photos of other pieces in this line for Sibast. The search continues.
-D

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
06/06/2016 8:28 am  

Anything with even the slightest resemblance to those upper handles gets attributed to Arne Vodder for Sibast. This is motivated by resale value. This secretary is not an Arne Vodder for Sibast.
And just because a Danish piece was not designed by a famous designer does not mean that it was poorly constructed. In fact in some cases the less famous designers had things built better than the more famous ones. Nearly all Danish construction in the 50s and early 60s was of very high quality compared to very much of the rest of the world.
What does the side of a drawer look like?

ReplyQuote
Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
06/06/2016 8:35 am  

Lief,
Ill be taking some pictures and will post the results shortly. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
06/06/2016 9:32 am  

Great! Thanks for your help and research Lief. good to know even just a little more about it than I did before.
-D

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register