Modern bedding  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 6:56 am  

Yeah, I'd have more if I had ...
Yeah, I'd have more if I had a better system of bedcovers.
Heath, that's a good plan of making a quilt with a wool blanket as filler, except for the quilting part! It's really hard to machine quilt a queen- or king-size quilt on a home sewing machine, and it's a lot of work to hand quilt it. I just don't want to do either at this point in my life.
It's also possible to tie the layers together with little knots every 6" or so but that doesn't look nearly as nice as quilting.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 6:57 am  

dang, another double post! sorry

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 9:45 am  

I suppose I'm single, only...
I suppose I'm single, only wash things when they smell and use things until they are threadbare, ok to have a few I suppose, as long as you aren't throwing good things away.
I'm pretty sure my Mums sewing machine could hack through 3 layers like that, if not an upholsterer could hand such a simple job over to the apprentice, would cost very little, hand buttoning it yourself might look cool, maybe with contrasting fabric if thats your thing.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
07/05/2011 4:07 pm  

Yeah, my currently one is...
Yeah, my currently one is pretty threadbare. I spend alot of time on my bed...reading, sleeping, playing with the cat, talking on the phone, etc. I really like that inmod site where you can design your own bedding. I have found bedding I like but the colors never work with my walls or arts. Some this way I could chose the design (simple) and color. Anyone used them before and have reviews of quality?

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
08/05/2011 3:24 am  

Heath
It's not sewing through the layers that's tough. It's rolling the part you're not quilting into compact enough rolls to fit through the machine and on the other side while you quilt an narrow area between the two---then unroll and re-roll and do it again. And again and again and again! You need a long work surface to support the quilt as you push it ahead of you, and the other end you kind of have to drape over one shoulder as you work leaning to the side a bit. It's a pain in the $#%@*! Or neck--and back and shoulders.
In addition, you must feed the layers under the presser foot without pushing or pulling them lest you bend the needle just a hair and break it against the throat plate of the machine. Then you have to stop and change the needle. I still have nicks in the throat plate from needles breaking against it.
That's for machine quilting, which even with those problems is faster than hand quilting. I did mostly hand quilting because I like the texture of it better. I never hand quilted anything near as big as a queen bed quilt, though.
Some people quilt strips and then join them together but I never liked how that looked in the end.
The way to go is to get someone with an industrial quilting machine to do it for you. It's a whole other animal and is way better at the job than even the best (Bernina!) home machine.

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
08/05/2011 4:23 am  

I stand corrected.
I've sept with a flokati before, that was pretty comfortable, not hot at all.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
08/05/2011 9:42 pm  

I'm with spanky on that one!
Big fabric is a pain to sew!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working