Cart

Modern bedding  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
05/05/2011 11:46 pm  

What type of bedding does everyone use? I have a platform bed and like to use quilts instead of duvets (which are often bulkier than I like). Anyhoo, the quilt I have now was purchased from West Elm years ago but it has started to show its age. I don't care for West Elm's current selection. I don't have much of an idea what I want except for it to fit in the room's decor. My walls are a yellow color and most of my wall art has red in it. So something that might go with these colors. I tend to like simpler bedding (fabrics that aren't too busy). My current quilt is a single green color and while I like it, I do want a change. Something with either more than one color or a simple design. Where are good places to look for modernish quilts that are reasonably priced? I don't particularly want to spend $400 on a quilt. My budget is upwards of $200 maybe a bit more if I really like the quilt. Suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 12:07 am  

Cloudburst,
Save you money...
Cloudburst,
Save you money and purchase an Eiderdown down quilt. With resonable care it will last a lifetime of comfort and function.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
06/05/2011 12:31 am  

Down quilts use duvets...
Down quilts use duvets covers which I am not really fans of. And I don't want just a white quilt. Even if I used duvet covers with the quilt, the duvet would need to bed replaced periodically due to wear and tear or me just getting tired of it and needing something different. And duvets cost just as much if not more than quilts do.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 2:12 am  

A lot of stores (online and l...
A lot of stores (online and local) now carry matelasse bedspreads in geometric patterns that look good in modern bedrooms. Matelasse is a kind of cover that looks finely quilted but isn't. I've never seen them in anything but all cotton and they lie flat and are are thin, so you can neatly tuck them in and have a very tailored look. They used to be made only in very traditional floral, swaggy patterns but now you can find them with way more variety. Also, LOTS of colors.
I have the one below from LinenSource.com (which has mostly traditional, frou-frou stuff). It's very nice quality.
They seem to run about $90-100 for queen---dunno if that's within your budget.
IKEA has at least one nice looking quilted cotton-y looking spread in a darkish gray and I think a kind of cranberry red and maybe white...? Priced pretty reasonably, of course.
http://www.linensource.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=742&fromNewS...

ReplyQuote
Tyler
(@tylerplastolux-com)
Reputable Member
06/05/2011 2:19 am  

I LIKEY
The bedding at Walter/fold bedding
http://foldbedding.com/index.php?cPath=22_23

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 2:21 am  

Googled modern quilts, there...
Googled modern quilts, there are some striking things out there.
I use a wool duvet (pockets of wool instead of down) and its pretty good, never understood why people pay for these expensive covers when you can buy any type of fabric you like and get a cover and pillow cases made for next to nothing, a good plain one will last a long time, its a want rather than a need thing isn't it?
Its such a popular hobby there must be clubs and shows where you could get a one off or maybe try your hand at making your own.
Olive, thats the type of thing above I was thinking about with topographic contour lines or perpspective drawings etc for your own work, mmmmmm wall hangings.

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
06/05/2011 1:02 pm  

The matelasse pattern quilts...
The matelasse pattern quilts is what I currently have. I guess I want something slightly different. I'm just a bit bored of it. I have looked at that onion quilt that Tyler posted but I'm unsure about it. Kinda expensive. I also maybe want something with more than one color but not anything that is too busy.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 8:06 pm  

Sounds like you need a...
Sounds like you need a personal shopper.
Did you look at thecompanystore.com? They have some quilts that could go either way (traditional or modern) and some that swing more towards modern. Not too pricey.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 8:27 pm  

Or
you could design your own.
http://www.inmod.com/design-your-own-bedding.html

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2011 9:41 pm  

I have a half dozen Matelasse from different sources. Like spanky, i
prefer a tailored bed. Just shifting the color-way each bed change can
give a new look. I've not yet tired of it but i did use fabric once and it
quickly became a shower curtain by adding grommets.
Using fabric is still the best way to get what you want. Something with a
pattern can have a short life if you try and find something existing as bed
covering. I also just checked in a google search and didn't see anything
that i would use. Vines, trees, even a birch forest seem to be everywhere.
My shower curtain, though not sheer, (i just like the photo)...
You could also check Overstock.com

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 3:52 am  

Duvets...
in cotton, generally just white, but not always. We don't use any other sheet or blanket, just the duvet in it's cover and a bottom sheet. We have a thin one in a wool/cotton mix for summer and a thick one in a down alternative (hubby is allergic to down, alas) for winter.
I often make my own with sheets that I like, it's a relatively simple sewing effort, but I have also bought from IKEA, West Elm and Dwell Studio.
The ones below are from West Elm and are on my bed at the moment. Yes, that is my BR.
http://www.westelm.com/products/big-sur-duvet-cover-and-shams-b540/?pkey...

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 4:21 am  

Do you guys have a wardrobe of bed covers to select from, surely you only need one or two?

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 5:17 am  

I only have one.
One nice thing for on top, that is. I have some ivory wool blankets for warmth.
I tried the duvet thing. Down is too hot, or at least the big fluffy things we had were too hot unless I opened a window in winter and let the room get down to 50 or so. After that waste of money, I made a king-size duvet filled with wool. It was nearly as hot as the down! So now I have wool blankets. Add or peel off as needed.
I have also toyed for years with the idea of making a pieced or appliqued quilt with a strong graphic pattern of some sort. The problem is deciding on a design that I think I could live with for a long time (to make it worth the work). Oh, and then the work. I used to make quilts to use and display and I probably have too clear an idea of what I would be getting into. I did make a traditional king-size one 22 years ago. It was a lot of work. Probably never again. (OK, maybe if I paid someone else do the quilting part.)

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 5:27 am  

Yes, for sure, most people sl...
Yes, for sure, most people sleep with too much warmth I think, wool blankets are pretty under rated, could you get one of your thinner wool blankets, 2 layers of fabric you like and just sew through all three to make a grid, just enough to keep the wool in place.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2011 6:14 am  

Wardrobe...kinda
I use the duvet covers as sheets so I wash them weekly(ish). I also have ones I prefer to see in warmer weather and some in cooler. I have 8 sets of duvet covers, pillow cases and bottom sheets. That doesn't strike me as excessive. Rotation increases life span. The set from West Elm that I posted the pix of is the first set I've bought in quite some time.
As for sleeping temp, I agree that it's healthier to sleep cool. We keep our bedroom at 55 degrees farenheit in winter so the down-alternative stuff we have is not too hot. In summer it actually gets quite cool out here in the desert at night, especially with all the windows open, so the thing wool liner thingie we have is actually perfect unless it's been super hot during the day...which pretty much doesn't happen.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register