Cart

Laurel Telescoping ...

Laurel Telescoping Lamp Sliding (help?)  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@topiarymailboxgmail-com)
21/04/2014 5:33 am  

Hello,

I recently purchased a Laurel telescoping floor lamp at auction. I've seen them before where the telescoping part just slides right down and was careful to check this one to make sure it held at any height. I thought all was well, but it didn't have a shade on it at the auction. As soon as I put even a very light weight shade on it, it slides right down and won't stay up at all.

I don't see a set screw or any obvious way to fix the problem- I'm hoping that someone here has encountered and solved this problem?

This is the lamp (not mine, but the design).

Thanks,
Bruce

retrolampguy
(@retrolampguy)
Reputable Member
21/04/2014 6:27 am  

Easy fix but a bit of a hack
Hi
I have fixed two of these lamps and got them to work well enough. Its a bit of a hack but it works
In the attached photo, the arrow points to part of the lamp that unscrews. it might be tight, and you might think i am crazy. I'm not. Use some WD40 if it wont move easy.
One that is off, I basically just stuffed something into the opening that created friction but wouldn't scratch the shaft.
I used a really firm but soft foam on one. It works well but not perfect. The telescoping action isn't quite as smooth as it should be but its the easiest and most reversible fix I found.

ReplyQuote
Killian
(@killian)
Illustrious Member
22/04/2014 2:15 am  

When you unscrew the piece...
When you unscrew the piece shown in the photo above you will probably find two pieces of felt, one has probably dropped down the shaft. Just straighten them back out, one goes up the top and one on the bottom and it will work perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
22/04/2014 6:32 pm  

That's a very handsome lamp,....and practical too.
yup,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@topiarymailboxgmail-com)
26/04/2014 3:55 am  

Thank you!
You saved my lamp. I've got use this forum more often.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register