The Last Thing That...

The Last Thing That You Acquired #47  

Page 7 / 8
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 1:16 am  

I picked up this Dansk tray recently for a couple of dollars---not my favorite Dansk tray ever but I kinda wanted to see if it could be brought back from the dead. After a cleaning with acetone to even out the dryness, and a thorough oiling and then some paste wax to restore the sheen---doesn't look too bad. I'd do it again.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 2:19 am  

That's Dansk ?? I'm astounded. The design, what I can see of it, is nice -- but the structure is ghastly. A dowel splitting a miter ?
Sorry -- just venting. Nice clean-up, too. But I am astounded. If a dowel must be placed at a corner, the joint should be lapped, so the dowel can act as a pin, instead of a dagger . . .

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 2:49 am  

Actually the corners are spline miters (splined?) so I don't know how they opened up. I thought about fixing them but then I looked at others online and mine is not the only one where the miter is opening up---so I left them. Mine also has small amounts of wood filler on other joints. These were made in Thailand so would be later designs--- I wonder if quality control had gone down?
This is the side view (someone else's photo):

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 2:56 am  

It's "modern" -- but it seems to lack the sophistication, the subtlety which I associate with Dansk. But I know all too little, not being a collector.
Perhaps it's from the 'seventies or 'eighties rather than the 'fifties or 'sixties . . . ?

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 3:29 am  

Well regardless, it would look fab adorned with proper vodka, a lime for me, a stack of Bev Naps (polka dot, any color combo.. just keep it simple), and a note properly sealed in an envelope from Arlene Francis. Breath mints on the side. I like it.
I do,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 3:52 am  

And shucks, tfritz,
I have evil plans to serve the lovely gal who gifted me the Limoges china a chicken dinner with a marshmallow jello salad on this tragic china...wash it...and off to my fav charity resale store it goes. Gone. Forgotten. Purged. Some old queen will buy it and put some miles on the old porcelain. Now, I do love what your artist friend does. I just might want something else tweaked.,..in a twisted way. I shall ponder. Hand wash only. I am...
Hi,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
01/10/2016 6:31 am  

Over the years I have always appreciated the styles in Vogue (French Vogue). The subscription bonus coasters (1929 American Vogue cover reproductions) in the original packaging (plastic sleeves removed for photo) are fun.

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
01/10/2016 7:49 pm  

Coffee table steelbase, aluminium top framed with oak, wenge i'm not sure. The seller said it's Ligne Roset. but could'nt found a similar table.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
02/10/2016 3:05 am  

I don't care who made, it -- it's great. The finger joint at the corner of the oak (?) trim is sweet, and would look great even without stain or finish (in my house it would be stripped immediately). The aluminum seems to have acquired a nice patina.
The form is like a drawing by Mies, or Judd, or somebody. Congratulations.

ReplyQuote
mvalen
(@mvalen)
Noble Member
05/10/2016 6:40 pm  

picked up this Drexel side table yesterday for $10

ReplyQuote
gropius
(@gropius)
Honorable Member
05/10/2016 11:13 pm  

(I'll hide my "ID request" in a "Last Thing Acquired" post so no one notices). I've seen this EIC or EK on teak kitchenware before, but don't know what it stands for? And that leads to the mark on the bottom of the jar, probably MR? I assume these were originally sold together; they were together when I found them in.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2016 5:24 pm  

Why hello.
This piece of art was a gift from a friend.
Hello why,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2016 6:09 pm  

And the same sweet girlfriend gifted me this from her personal collection.
Me,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2016 10:40 pm  

And then next the generous friend gave me another work from this artist. It is titled Looking out of SDR's bathroom window, 1972.
I'm blown away,
Aunt Mark.
ps Actually, it is quite windy here. Here is a snap of a steady 45mph breeze. Should be up around 125mph is 6 hours. I'm having a dinner party (even though the area has been evacuated. The building sways. Toilet bowl water splashes out. Music is loud. Generators are fueled up. Food is cooking, bar is open. My wagon is parked outside in the element. Ouch. 12 foot storm surge predicted. The end for the poor power wagon. Wasteful. Hurricane Matthew, I think. The party is on!

ReplyQuote
Zephyr
(@zephyr)
Illustrious Member
06/10/2016 11:01 pm  

Good luck Mark, it is sure to be a wild party!

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register