Design Addict

Cart

Midcentury house "s...

Midcentury house "smell"  

RSS

midwest midcentury
(@midwest-midcentury)
15/09/2016 9:01 pm  

I have looked at a couple of midcentury homes recently, and I find that they all have a distinctive smell (to me). I think it is related to the wood (?), but I'm not sure. Can anyone relate or let me know what they think it is?

tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
15/09/2016 9:13 pm  

Tuna casserole.
Seriously, though. If the homes have exposed cedar roof decks (low-pitched cathedral ceilings) as many around here do, and you're sensing a strong, somewhat aromatic "wood smell", it could be a symptom of active rot caused by roof leaks. Yes, western red cedar will rot and attract carpenter ants if kept wet. Don't ask how I know this.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
15/09/2016 9:52 pm  

Raw chicken.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
15/09/2016 10:07 pm  

I will relate and let you know I think it is a "sign" you should not acquire those properties. For me, should I be interested, it is an indication to call a professional cleaner. Is there anything more insignificant with these midcentury homes?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 1:19 am  

I find that a lot of plywood used in cabinets from the era has a very unpleasant smell. It is most pronounced when you open a cabinet that has been closed for a while. We had a built in linen closet that suffered from the problem, and all the sheets stored in it came out smelling a bit like sour milk.
People back then smoked a lot.

ReplyQuote
Zephyr
(@zephyr)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 2:57 am  

and the early laminate glues (and still many today) used some serious chemicals, with formaldehyde and urea top of that list.....neither of those chemicals smell very nice.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 3:55 am  

Add a hotter-than-normal summer to accelerate chemical reactions and resultant off-gassing, not to mention a closed-up vacant house, and... voila.
Assuming it's not just stinky wall-to-wall shag carpeting, of course.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 9:05 am  

Urea is odorless. I think you mean Urea Formaldehyde, as in glue.
Urea is also tasty. The awesomeness of the humble pretzel is down to urea.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 5:57 pm  

Yes.
I happen to like the smell of an old house, but I also like the smell of gasoline. I just don't like the smell of Cheeto's and/or Nursing Homes. Foot odors and light switch covers can smell wicked, too.
carry on,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
16/09/2016 9:38 pm  

Anything that is old will have some sort of tolerable smell unless the houses you looked at has more serious issues like water damage/mold, a colony of bats living in the crawlspace or stray animals squatted in it. I have worked on several old houses and each and every one of them has a distinct smell which goes away after awhile. If the smell bothers you, look at new houses instead, they do smell too like Lowe's or Home Depot.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register