The Last Thing That You Acquired #41.  

Page 6 / 7
  RSS

_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2015 5:56 pm  

Nice Studebaker teakhound. Although I had mixed feelings about the Avanti styling the first time I saw one (owned by a former boss), I thought the absence of the rudimentary grille was odd but later realized that the Avanti's grill less styling was actually ahead of its time when cars adapted the look decades later.
The last (attributed) to Loewy piece I brought home that smelled like gasoline was given to me by my mechanic, a school desk for Brunswick complete with the perforated 'modesty' panel.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
23/11/2015 6:57 pm  

A not so very pedigreed acquisition for free. A 1960s/70s kitschy mod mirror by Turner Mfg. of Chicago being thrown out by a landlord down the street.

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
23/11/2015 9:29 pm  

Another weekend find!
C. Jere Artisan House "Raindrops" wall sculpture.
63" Wide - 30" Tall - 9" Deep
I found it at an estate sale in west central Florida. After I got it home it took 4.5 hrs to clean the piece up. I swear there was 40 years worth of dust all over it. I was also extremely happy to find out that this one has the C. Jere plaque soldered to the back of it. No bends, breaks or missing pieces! I have already hung it in my back TV room.
The company running the estate sale knew what it was, but priced it right for a quick sale.
$750
minimoma,
Super Cool Desk! I like the mirror too..... I was at an auction not to long ago and they had that exact same mirror but it was a larger size, maybe around 4' x 4'.

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
23/11/2015 9:38 pm  

Peruche that Jere Raindrops wall sculpture is magnificent. Magnificent.

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
24/11/2015 6:25 am  

Another weekend find!
Unfortunately it is from a week ago. I just found the time to get a couple pics of it.
Ultra Rare..... Adrian Pearsall Tear Drop coffee table with original glass top Model # R2077-TGT.
$50
Peruche

ReplyQuote
teakhound
(@teakhound)
Prominent Member
24/11/2015 6:58 am  

Peruche -
That is drop-dead gorgeous. Cannot say I have ever seen one of those.
Congrats on a phenomenal find!

ReplyQuote
ZooMob
(@zoomob)
Honorable Member
24/11/2015 8:08 am  

Adrian Pearsall sofa.......in the garbage on the curb. Needed upholstery, new straps, and a little work to the frame. Wish I could have kept it, but it was sold to an upholsterer that rehabs moderns pieces. Glad to have saved it, and to have made a few bucks in the process.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2015 5:46 pm  

Thanks Peruche, your stuff are awesome too. I had seen that mod/op mirror too at high end auctions and vintage shops and it is amazing that something that was originally sold at stores like Woolworth's could command such prices.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2015 3:13 pm  

Oh Peruche,
Such a stunning (non-Brutalist) piece of art! A VERY good investment...but (oh gosh...I mean this with upmost respect) I think that the television needs to be donated to your favorite charity, and the non-brutalist Jere be lowered a bit. How can one look at the TV with such a beautiful piece of art above? Now if they ever bring back Peter Marshall and the Hollywood Squares, I'll spring for a television. I learned everything that I know from watching Hollywood Squares and reading Design Addict Forum. Everything.
And remember this Thanksgiving,
~Vodka shots first...Turkey carving second...Pilgrim shoes required... Hug an Indian... Drive a Plymouth.
Best,
Your Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2015 3:53 pm  

Thank you for being more bold than I dared, Aunt Mark. But now that you've put it out there, I am not even sure the TV is the issue. I think it's just that the Jere needs a lot more space around it on all sides, which surely there is somewhere in that home. If it has to be on that wall, then I'd find a different place for both the tv and the tall lamp.

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
25/11/2015 6:13 pm  

Aunt Mark & spanky,
I concur on all accounts, unfortunately do to my nearly 20 years of collecting, I effectively have no more wall space available. There were 2 areas in my home that could accommodate the Jere piece and the back TV room was best between both options. I can't take the TV out because that is were Mrs. Peruche & our 4 year old son lounge and watch Jake & the Never Land Pirates, Doc McStuffins, Sophia The First, Scooby-Doo, etc..... The back TV room has been a bit of a catch-all lately.
Hmmmm......
Now that you two have me thinking, I do have a smaller smart TV in another room that I might be able to swap out for the larger one under the Jere piece.
Flash Forward: I measured it out and by putting the small TV in the back TV room I would be able to drop the Jere wall sculpture down about 6 to 7 inches. Definitely something to think about.....
Thanks Auntie Mark & spanky for prodding me to put some new thought into this........
Peruche

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2015 9:33 pm  

Do you ever do that thing where you pit two objects against each other to decide which you can do without and thus clear some space in your collection? I did it all the time back when I was going to local auctions every week for years and years. It was shocking how many things got cycled back onto the market after I was absolutely dead sure I would never, ever part with them---always because I found something new that I had to have even worse. And I don't regret any of the trade-ups! Well, maybe the 7' Svend Larsen rosewood tambour door credenza...a teeny bit...

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2015 12:42 am  

Yes, Spanky, I know the feeling! However as I'm a fledgling collector I'm still hanging on to almost everything I get. It's fairly hard to find quality pieces here, let alone at a price I can afford! I think most couldn't afford it here back then. My most recent buy you've seen already, Corona chair by Poul Volther. This was a pricey buy for me, but so worth it!

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2015 1:17 am  

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
26/11/2015 4:33 pm  

spanky,
Yep, Yep, Yep.... I have been upcycling for quite a few years now. Unfortunately, I think that I have gotten to the point were there isn't much that I would consider putting back out into the market. I'm sure if the right piece came around to me I would be forced to move something out, but right now I am very content....
Peruche

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register