The Last Thing You Acquired #39  

Page 6 / 11
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2015 5:50 pm  

Grendel,
Ah, ok, mine was built on the ground so I had the luxury of excavating for each footing block as needed to get the whole thing level. Still, there were a lot of blocks and also a lot of mosquitos. Excavating and leveling was actually the hardest part. (I did have some help with the framing.)
I wanted mine really low to the ground but was hampered by the fact that the ground was sloped toward the house (yes, you read that right) and I had to put some kind of drainage system under the deck, plus the door to the house was right at grade. It was a mess but it turned out well all things considered.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
30/07/2015 8:42 pm  

Those are some good looking decks! I acquired a small watercolor by Santa Fe artist Elaine Holien.
Your Aunt M.

ReplyQuote
Grendel_The_Cat
(@grendel_the_cat)
Noble Member
30/07/2015 8:46 pm  

Mark,
I think I speak for all of us, you'd be welcome for gin and tonics on our decks anytime!

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 12:20 am  

Why thank you Grendel!
In turn, I'd be delighted to have all of you over onto my cluttered patio for proper beverages, and optional arm wrestling for the strong. I'm left handed.
Hi,
Aunt Left

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 4:09 am  

Mark,
As you must already know, the left hand is the hand of the devil.
That's what they said about da Vinci, another lefty, when he took to doing autopsies.
Red meat indeed!

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 5:15 am  

I never knew...
Today I purchased this L & M Vignelli Glasbake two quart casserole with au gratin over by Jeannette USA for The Chef's Choice. I have a multitude if Lella Vignelli glassware for Heller and I never knew that it was later produced under the trade name "Glasbake" by Jeannette USA for the "somewhat cheesy" The Chef's Choice. Now I know. It is a great user.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 8:54 pm  

'Victor' lamp by Roland Smith for Smith Victor 1948
$2 for the arm part and $2 for the music stand part
(seller at the yard sale over the weekend never knew the two went together)
Included in the Taschen book 1000 lights vol. 1, exhibited at the Detroit Institute of Art in 1948
also came with 3 vintage ceiling lights by John Virden (always misidentified as Lightolier) for free because they will be thrown out and 150 sq. ft of unused 1970's 'Trees' Flair Squares wall paper by Dupont and made of Tyvek for $3 (kind of kitschy but it is so bad, it is so good)

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 11:01 pm  

I was in the giant thrift store yesterday and did a cursory stroll past the fabric section which almost never has anything except ugly chenilles and polyester double knits. Which is why I was shocked to find nearly 3 yards of wool hopsack upholstery fabric in the exact colorway as Hallingdal 733 (turquoise and cobalt blue).
It has 2 threads going in each direction so I know it's not Hallingdal, but at $2 for the whole thing, I'm not complaining!

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
31/07/2015 11:57 pm  

minimoma,
Congratulations on the wonderful lamp. Knowledge is everything. Good for you.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
01/08/2015 7:44 pm  

Thanks niceguy, it looks like you are not doing so bad yourself at finding the good stuff for less.
If your city has one of those rummage places/last stop (before going to the landfill) for unsold usually overpriced thrift store stuff, you should go. That's where I pulled out from the giant trash compactor my 50 year old 'Domino' leather sofa by Stendig (and Swiss made) with no damage but I guess to most people, a distressed aged leather is considered a flaw/defect.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/08/2015 8:11 pm  

object- Nice sperm bank.

ReplyQuote
Cap'n Sensible Shoes
(@reno_jonesyahoo-com)
Eminent Member
03/08/2015 1:20 am  

Takeshi Hara serigraph from 1982. I wasn't sure I liked this at first sight, but it's really grown on me.

ReplyQuote
MauriceR
(@mauricer)
03/08/2015 6:30 am  

Hello Spanky just to update the information on Lotte Lamps, they were made by Gunnar and Lotte Bostlund - they imigrated to Canada from Denmark in the 1950's and started producing lamps in Ontario just outside Toronto. Production has moved to the USA in the 1990's? Here is a bit of history http://www.lottelamps.com/pdfs/LotteLamps_History.pdf
I love their lamps and shades.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
03/08/2015 7:18 am  

Thanks---I've looked at their site a bunch of times but never clicked on that page. I see they've only been in Ohio since 1997 but were producing some things in NY state in the mid 60s. So interesting! There are some great photos on that page, too!

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
04/08/2015 12:00 am  

Ok I know I'm kitch, but I got this fab Anstley and Wilson teak sunburst clock today, and I love it!!

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 11
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register