Design Addict

Cart

The Last Thing You ...

The Last Thing You Acquired #23 (Michael Jordan edition)  

Page 7 / 8
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@retrokcymail-com)
Eminent Member
24/11/2013 8:00 pm  

New Lamp
I am the new owner of this lamp. Looks as if it was never installed.

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2013 8:02 pm  

that
lamp has everything going for it. Yummy

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2013 9:05 pm  

Eameshead,
he's liked MCM furniture for 4-5 years so I wasn't surprised, just pleased! I got a trashed Selig Eames-style lounge chair for $2 and redid it for him when he went off to college. That was his first piece of furniture and he still loves it (though it's going to be painful to see it next to that sofa).

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
25/11/2013 2:56 am  

Re: To Mark
Thanks Mark.
Best estate sale score of my life.
Now I just need to buy another house with high ceilings or loft to display it properly.
Sad part is the amazing mid-century designed bank building this was displayed in for 20 years was torn down in 1993 to make way for a mall and restaurant.
I also found another of Davis's sculptures, made out of perspex, but it is only about 2 feet high. Much smaller than the other. It was used in one of his films.
Info about his use of mobiles and sculptures in his films here:
http://revoirvideo.blogspot.com/2009/06/jim-davis-started-making-films-i...

ReplyQuote
heavymetalsculpture
(@heavymetalsculpture)
Trusted Member
25/11/2013 4:14 pm  

Congrats
Very cool LydiaLunch, that's an amazing piece! What's the story with the estate sale? Did they not know what they had or were they looking to liquidate? Did you happen upon it or was it advertised? Did you get a good price?I'm always curious as to the story behind the sale.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2013 4:34 pm  

What fabulous acquisitions lately! All of them...my god.
I've always loved that sofa, *spanky*! And I'm not at all surprised that your son has stellar taste. Apples don't fall far from apple trees...or was it oranges? Horhay Nelson would be proud, too.
Always,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2013 5:16 pm  

The Aasbjerg coffee table...
The Aasbjerg coffee table will look great in front of that sofa. I am envious. Been wanting one of them in solid teak as well, so I was eyeing that table from afar.

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
25/11/2013 10:31 pm  

Reply to: HeavyMetalSculpture
Here's the background:
It was a typical estate sale, owner had passed away 10 months ago. They were your basic good breeding, old money family with mostly traditional American furniture. (Family ancestor was a signer of the constitution, etc..) I checked the estate listing's photo gallery online the night before and in the middle of all these colonial antiques is this strange photo of this amazing sculpture. Totally at odds with everything else shown.
The deceased owner was a bank president, when the bank building was vacated he took the sculpture home with him and stuck in the attic. The artist, Davis, was his wife's uncle.
They knew who had created the piece, but the lady running the estate sale didn't care about avant garde film making, or modern art for that matter. She couldn't easily look him up in art auction results, so I don't think she thought too much of it. (She favors 19th century antiques)
I could barely sleep the night before I was so excited. I was at the door of the sale at 6:30 am - even though the sale didn't start till 9 am so I would be sure to get it. (I also had to be at work at 9)
But after seeing the crowd, I probably could have showed up in the afternoon and still bought it no problem. Hell I went back on the third 50% day to give a good look-see I didn't have time for the first day and found a beautiful robsjohn gibbings bedroom set for a song! It was probably the only other items in the house that had a modern flair. The typical buyers at the estate sales here do not look for MCM - they want their "collectibles" and turn of the century Victorian stuff.
I just can't believe they didn't send off such a significant, large scale piece to an auction or donate to a museum.

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2013 3:25 am  

Good for you lydia
who know what might have become of it otherwise?
Now you just need to buy a new house to fit around it

ReplyQuote
SoModerne
(@somoderne)
Eminent Member
26/11/2013 8:18 pm  

'
A Danish Rosewood hall/telephone table with large painted zinc planter by Arne Wahl Iversen for Vinde Møbelfabrik.

ReplyQuote
brbeard
(@brbeard)
Noble Member
26/11/2013 9:03 pm  

Beautiful piece, somoderne!...
Beautiful piece, somoderne! One note - the drawers that are currently ordered (from the top) 1,2,3...maybe they should be re-ordered 1,3,2, or 2,3,1? That way the drawers would be bookmatched all the way down. Anyway just an idea! That thing's going to look amazing with plants in it.

ReplyQuote
SoModerne
(@somoderne)
Eminent Member
26/11/2013 9:30 pm  

Well spotted brbeard and thanks for pointing that out to me, I took them out to oil them and never even noticed. I'll be sure to put that right before I take some better pictures.

ReplyQuote
waldorf
(@waldorf)
Prominent Member
26/11/2013 11:04 pm  

rosewood aluminum table
find this beautiful rosewood / aluminum table today.
I don `t know who designed / made it, but I `m sure it will be my new desk.
Any help and thoughts is appreciated.
sorry for the pic `s , just bring it home.....

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2013 11:28 pm  

that is
sexy

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
27/11/2013 12:12 am