Identify Self unit??  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

ite (BE)
(@ite-be)
Famed Member
09/06/2010 2:38 am  

Oy Gustaf, I can't hear how y...
Oy Gustaf, I can't hear how you just said it, hope you're not upset. At uni I shared a house with some other students, including some guys that were decidedly.. interesting.
Once I received my college degree, I could swear like a dock laborer. They weren't exactly the sensitive type, so if you made delicate requests (i.e. normally formulated questions) it got you absolutely nowhere. It was an all round interesting experience & I have learned several usefull skills. It includes yelling very loudly (only losers take stairs to talk to someone), hiding dinner plates in your own room to they don't get stuck in the sink covered in moldy lasagne (due to interesting guys that already have all of their own plates in the sink covered in moldy kebab), not commenting on odd food choices (such as panininis stuffed with spagetti bolognaise, and a side of french fries), as well as threatening to kick in doors, and yes also commenting back..
And then they say that uni is not a useful experience :o)
However, I now do appear to be somewhat too bold on some occasions. Sorry. I apologize. Hope your not mad !

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
09/06/2010 3:00 am  

Not at all
I stole that line from one of my all time favorite movies.
So my fault for making obscure pop culture references.
You have to see the movie though.
I almost forgot this thread was about Strings (another risky Google term). I love String systems in all forms. It predates the Ladderax and the Tomado systems, and, as far as I know, it was the first design of this type.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jz00Eelbk

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
09/06/2010 3:06 am  

Poor Photo
of my ladderax set up.. books n all ..

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
09/06/2010 3:25 am  

Robert
That's a sharp looking system. I like Ladderax. Has a stronger, more masculine aesthetic than String. Don't think I have ever seen a Ladderax for sale in Sweden.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
09/06/2010 3:35 am  

A better picture
of its previous life in my kitchen

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
09/06/2010 3:44 am  

I remember
your kitchen from the lamp thread. That was a perfect setup.
I guess the new one is more functional? With books and all!
The two pictures nicely illustrate how flexible these systems are.
Here is one from my flickr favorites:

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
09/06/2010 3:49 am  

I like the old type of...
I like the old type of String ladders with two different depths, as seen in the ad. They are hard to find, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 1:26 am  

Love the idea of a self unit ...
Love the idea of a self unit in the kitchen. Usually, they are seen in living rooms, dens, dining rooms and offices. Provided the particular unit can support the weight, and has enough cabinet units, they strike me as a nice solution to more traditional kitchen cabinets.
A unit with the fold up table would also provide an area to eat. Clearly you would not have as much storage as traditional cabinets......but still an interesting kitchen storage option I never really considered.

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 8:18 am  

Hej Gustaf
Du som läser Svenska...vad menas med "kalkad ek" i annonsen? Jag vet vad träslaget ek är, och även vad kalk betyder, men hur ser det ut när man blandar dem två och gör en "själv" av det? Jag antar att det är den urtvättade vita färgen som men bara ser i träytans djupare delar ...Jag vågar inte längre skriva på engelska på grund av alla fel som dem kommer at uptäcka...min svenska är värre, jag vet, men det syns inte av halve världen och Svenskar uppskattar det faktiskt när någon gör ett alvarligt försök.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 8:35 am  

I'm sorry Koen
My Swedish is even worse, but I can divulge the meaning, so I'll just reply in English! I didn't mean to insult your English, I know it's your 4th language!. Please come back to it so we can all share your wisdom!
To my knowledge, limed oak is 'blonder' and paler, but doesn't lose it's graining or texture.

ReplyQuote
Lit Up
(@lit-up)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 5:20 pm  

Ladderax shelves with.. SHOCK - books on them!
My Dad's an author and has acquired and inherited hundreds of books. This is just one of his shelving units. He's had them since the 60s. In the second image you can see his 95th birthday card!

ReplyQuote
Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
10/06/2010 6:18 pm  

Hej Koen!
You are right. The technique is used to visually enhance the grain, and white refers to the white color in the deeper parts of the structure, i.e. the pores. Slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) was used originally, hence the name. This apparently stains easily or turns yellow/brown after a while, so these days zink or some other white pigment is used. I'm not sure what this technique is called in English, or that would have been enough as an explanation. Pickling?
I have never seen String shelves in kalkad ek in real life, but here is a picture of one:
http://www.nirvanafurniture.com/foton/jpeg/storabilder/2008/7maj/bokhyll...

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 8:45 pm  

Yes,
it's called pickling.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2010 8:58 pm