Hans Wegner Sofa?

Hans Wegner Sofa?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
21/05/2016 9:01 am  

Hello all! This is my most recent find that I can not find a match for. In my search I have come up with Wegner's AP32S but cannot find one with 6 legs. The back legs flare out in the same way also. These are the only pictures I have right now so I apologize in advance. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.

Danish-homestore.com
(@danish-homestore-com)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 12:17 pm  

Hi, That sofa has more in common with a luxury cruise ship than Hans Wegner.
The AP catalogue lists the 6 leg version, model AP33s as you can see but it does not have fold down arm rests.
check the dimensions and look more closely at the construction. peep behind the cover fabric when the arms are folded down and maybe you can see inside the sofa.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 5:48 pm  

Any chance that the end armrests flip up to reveal storage compartments beneath?
Also, those dining chairs in the front look interesting. The available view for the backrest framing does not ring a bell. Can you enlighten me?

ReplyQuote
Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
21/05/2016 8:04 pm  

Haha! It is definitely cruise ship material. I will have to confirm measurements once I return from holiday. You can tell it was reupholstered at one point in its life so the arms may have been a custom request.
cdsilva, the end arm caps do not lift to reveal compartments. Although that would be an interesting feature. The dining chairs in the foreground are J.L. Moller model 84 in oak.
Thank you for the quick and informative responses. I will confirm and post measurements Sunday.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 8:31 pm  

Yes, I thought it had a Moller feel to it, but was not immediately familiar with that two slat backrest design. The Moller site notes it was designed in 1976. You don't see that model pop up very often in the secondary markets.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 8:56 pm  

Adding flip-down armrests like that would be a pretty major revision for an upholsterer to do! Not impossible, but I'm thinking more likely to be original. An upholsterer might add height to a back or the arms but adding hinged flip-down armrests and probably reworking the frame of the back to accomodate them, and figuring out the dimensions and padding so that they feel like the rest of the back when in the UP position---that's some major designing there.
There are a couple of other things I noticed, though.
The legs have a more pronounced taper than the Wegner legs, which are pretty distinctive. It's hard to tell in the photos because of the shadows and the low resolution but it's definitely there.
The front edge of the Wegner sofa is higher in relation to the bottom of the frame in front, plus it is angled out from the frame edge. This isn't the case on your sofa.
The arm on the Wegner is shorter in front than in the back. Yours appears to be the opposite or may be about the same height front and back---but either way, it's not shorter in front.
The vertical front surface of the arm on yours appears to be round though this may be an illusion. It looks round in the photo whereas the Wegner's has definite corners---rounded corners, but corners.
There's also that business of the welt that runs parallel to the top surface of the arm on yours. That would be an odd thing to add by an upholsterer later. Possible...but odd.

ReplyQuote
Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
23/05/2016 2:55 am  

Hi Spanky, thank you very much for your reply. You definitely pointed out some very noticeable differences. Here are a few more pics. Any ideas on who the maker might be?

ReplyQuote
Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
23/05/2016 3:01 am  

25" front to back 7" shorter then Wegner
30" tall .5" shorter
91" long 8" shorter

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2016 4:02 pm  

I'm guessing there was no one designer responsible for it, or no one of note, and that it was made in the US in the 60s.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2016 4:46 pm  

I think those legs look like Afrormosia more than Walnut, but it is really not possible to say with soft focus photos. But that difference would tell you if it is Scandinavian or American.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
23/05/2016 6:04 pm  

Hmmm... Those screws toe-nailed through the tops of the legs. Not a good sign.

ReplyQuote
Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
23/05/2016 7:20 pm  

I believe the legs to be Afromosia. Thank you to everyone who responded. It was of great help.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
24/05/2016 7:53 am  

Well if they are Afrormosia, then Norway or the UK top the list of suspects (Belgium too). And the toe nailed screws are, um, interesting as Tktoo said. That looks more like the sort of crap Amricans would have done.
If you take some nice sharp close up photos of the grain you will get a definitive answer whether it is Walnut, Afrormosia, or something else.

ReplyQuote
Vwdoyle
(@vwdoyle)
Estimable Member
24/05/2016 7:59 am  

Close up of grain.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
24/05/2016 3:49 pm  

Sharp and well lit, please.