Frederic Weinberg c...

Frederic Weinberg chair...or Pier 1?  

RSS

JLL
 JLL
(@jll)
Eminent Member
08/09/2012 9:10 am  

Got a pair of these chairs for free at the end of a yard sale here in LA. Didn't know what they were but thought the design was wonderful and that they'd be great on my patio.
Then saw they were all over the Internet, every single one claimed to be a mid-century Frederic Weinberg design and product.
There they were on 1stdibs, a pair priced at $3900 USD (in much better condition than mine of course).
But the version sold by Pier 1 Imports (mass market home furnishings chain stores here in the US) in the 1990s sure looks exactly like all the "Weinbergs" I see on the Internet. And yes, I'm aware that Pier 1 changed the design at some point later, to a more open weave on the upper back.
Someone on this board wrote that a difference between the Pier 1 and Weinberg models may be that the wrought iron on the Pier 1 has specks of black paint, which mine do. But it looks to me like at least some of the "Weinbergs" on the Internet may have the black specks also, though it's very hard to tell in the pics provided.
I emailed the people who say they're writing a book on Weinberg's work, but have no response. And I emailed the two highest priced sellers ($2400 and $3900/pr) and politely asked if they could tell me how one tells the difference between an authentic mid-century Weinberg and a Pier 1. One replied that they had gotten theirs at auction and had no idea. The other didn't respond.
I can find no evidence of any kind anywhere that this chair was a Frederic Weinberg design or a mid-century product by anyone- only Pier 1.
Of the dozens of people selling this chair on the Internet, only one even mentions Pier 1, claiming that his Pier 1 chair is "attributed" to Weinberg, and asking $650 USD.
Every single other seller describes the chair as Frederic Weinberg (with various spellings) and either mid-century or 1950s. It's amazing how all these chairs have survived 50 or 60 years on the patio or poolside in such great condition, while there's not a 20-year-old Pier 1 model in sight. Especially considering that Weinberg's firm was a tiny boutique operation compared to the scale of Pier 1.
I'm not pursuing this with delusion$ of grandeur- they'll stay on my patio. This is just the kind of mystery I like, so I'd be grateful for any insights.
Thanks everybody.

cheesedanish
(@cheesedanish)
Trusted Member
11/09/2012 3:22 am  

Frederic Weinberg -- Mystery man
Sounds like a scandal in the making. Lots of stuff being sold as Weinberg but who knows if it really is. Except for a couple of pieces with labels, I've not seen anything documented as his. No catalog, no magazine ads, nothing. Labels have different spellings of his name. Where and when was he born. Is there any documented info on this guy or was he just made up.

ReplyQuote
JLL
 JLL
(@jll)
Eminent Member
12/09/2012 1:58 am  

Response from seller- no idea
In response to my inquiry a dealer listing a pair of these chairs on 1stdibs ($2400 USD) has indicated that they have no idea how to tell the difference between the alleged mid-century Frederic Weinberg chairs and the 1990s Pier 1 Imports chairs.
Nor, apparently, do they care.
They stated that they had acquired the chairs at auction where they were described as mid-century Frederic Weinberg chairs and that that's all they know.

ReplyQuote
designfinder
(@mkforsteryahoo-com)
21/12/2012 10:41 pm  

pier 1
I really believe these are Pier 1 . Wish they weren't I own 4. I have never seen them in any vintage context old sunsets etc. I loved them. They first came out Pier 1 early 90's. I am no expert but the welding where the metal is fused together I believe is a more modern technique. I too have asked experts how they know theirs are weinberg and have had a few sheepish return calls and then silence. Wright modern also sold some a few years ago as Van Keppel. I now believe dealers think that if they can hope they are weinberg, they will indeed turn into weinberg chairs. Regardless of who designed them I love them they are my favorite chairs.

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
20/05/2013 10:11 am  

bump
did anyone find any definitive answer to this? Are they identical? Do they both have the support bars under the seat? I was offered 2 and I just cannot imagine they are legit Weinberg but they sure look the part.

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
20/05/2013 11:21 am  

I saw a pair of these at an...
I saw a pair of these at an auction a couple of years ago. I remember spending about 10 minutes looking them over as I was already aware of the whole controversy surrounding them. It was pretty obvious that they had been manufactured in the past 20 years. The frames had been factory 'speckle' painted to give the impression of a patina. They ended up selling for some ridiculous amount. Some people are just insanely gullible.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register