Design Addict

Cart

Elephant Hide Eames...

Elephant Hide Eames Chair ? What is Original?  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
04/05/2014 8:52 am  

objectworship
I tend to think about this shell and base pairing issue this way:
1) There are "as found" vintage original chairs. (as originally purchased, etc)
2) There are "correct pairings" that are made by necessity, and are age-appropriate + historically sensitive blah blah blah. (Often because a shell or base is found or bought separately to begin with)
3) There are "correct pairings" made by choice. A bit more indulgent (?) such as a pairing made because of sheer enthusiasm or love of a combination or color or specific owner need, where the owner knowingly changes the piece even though the original as-found piece exists. (Another example: the standard dining height H base might be too utilitarian for some, so they switch it out) I mix em up myself for these reasons quite often, in a temporary manner.
4) And then, replaced with what? Repro? Original? Age/wear appropriate? Or not?
5) And then there is Modernica

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
05/05/2014 11:54 pm  

EamesHead, your enthusiasm...
EamesHead, your enthusiasm and knowledge for the shell chairs is simply incredible. You have my utmost respect in this department. I just hope it'll spill over to that poor 670; even just a little bit......
Anyway, with the height of my shell and base, what do I call it? LAX? MAX? or WAX (Whatever Armchair with X base)

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@samfergi-com)
Reputable Member
06/05/2014 3:15 am  

I vote WAX!
Let's just simplify this whole ordeal.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
06/05/2014 4:17 am  

WAX
Yeah, I might have to vote WAX for now too joshlamiel.
I have to admit that I am pretty confused by the "with shell" measurements. The living room is "all LAR" bases at the moment, and I have nothing assembled with "X" to compare against.
But I will go ahead and guess "LAX" on your grey Zenith rope shell kin.
(I measured one of my standard low X bases from floor to underside of the X and it looks pretty close to yours.
I did have one silver MAX base - I THINK - but one of the legs cracked and broke off at the mounting screw hole last summer.
It was my first Eames chair! Seafoam rope shell bought in '88.
A moment of silence.
PS I LOVE the old catchers mitt 670 lounger kin! It will return to a place of honor soon. Shock mount replacement HELL at the moment. You know.

ReplyQuote
frankielemmons
(@frankielemmons)
Prominent Member
14/03/2020 8:53 pm  

Hey all - I'm hoping some of you are still around the forums as you seem to have way more knowledge about these chairs than I do - especially Eameshead.

I just picked up this Elephant hide shell that has the double triangle and is stamped April 2 1958. It's on what I believe is a zinc H-base. The measurements are leading me to think its a MAX base, but again, this is all too hard to parse. The measurements at the front of the seat are....14.25" to the bottom edge of the shell; 16" to the highest point of the shell in the front; almost exactly 15" to the top of the shock mounts underneath the chair. It measures 29" to the top of the back of the chair.

Any ideas? I'm happy to upload any other photos or measurements.

Thanks!

1584215919-IMG_2091.jpg

1584215978-IMG_2092.jpg
1584215999-IMG_2090.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register