Eames stickers expl...

Eames stickers explained  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
24/04/2014 4:26 pm  

Does anyone know a site where all the different stickers that Herman Miller/Vitra/Fehlbaum used on the fiberglass shells are explained?

Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
24/04/2014 6:46 pm  

heres one...
And if you simply google the three words that are the title of your thread here,
"Eames stickers explained" , and click on "images" for the search, you will see many of the stickers in the first couple of rows.
But you knew that already, right?
PS: "Fehlbaum"?
http://antiques.about.com/od/furniture/tp/IdentifyingEames041610.htm

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/04/2014 7:53 pm  

Fehlbaum
Not sure of the exact relationships, but I believe Fehlbaum was a plastics company that manufactured for Vitra. Vitra itself was founded by the Fehlbaum family. I know that Fehlbaum produced the Vitra Panton chairs, so it would make sense that they did Eames shells as well.
Perhaps someone from Europe can shed some more light.

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
24/04/2014 10:45 pm  

Fehlbaum are the founders of...
Fehlbaum are the founders of Vitra and the first licensed productions for Herman Miller in Europe had stickers like this: http://haffmansantiek.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab335...
EamesHead: Of course I conducted a little research with google first and also found the page you posted. But as you can see, it's far away from beeing complete. So what better place than this forum could there be to ask?
http://haffmansantiek.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab335...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/04/2014 10:50 pm  

Thanks for that
I'm still not clear on whether "Fehlbaum" was actually a separate manufacturing company from Vitra... Or did Fehlbaum just rename themselves Vitra at some point?
Edit: Attached photo of 1977 Fehlbaum production Panton chair.

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
24/04/2014 11:06 pm  

As far as I know they (Willi...
As far as I know they (Willi & Erika Fehlbaum) renamed their company to Vitra in the 50s, but that was yet before they got the license from Herman Miller.

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
24/04/2014 11:19 pm  

I recently got myself an old...
I recently got myself an old la fonda shell, which has this sticker on it. Can somone tell me when it was aprox. produced?

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
25/04/2014 1:08 am  

Thanks
Thanks woody and supreme47, that is great information. I learned something today. (I started wondering if Fehlbaum might indeed be a "Vitra" or European connection after I left my earlier post)
I will blame my lack of worldly knowledge on living on the west coast of USA-- the land of short, little and no history. (Sometimes a blessing, often a curse!)
So much of the early Eames stuff started right here in California, that I think my interest in that specific part of the larger Eames history has helped to keep me a bit myopic.
supreme47, I am now guessing that most of your questions involve the labels used in Europe. I am familiar with most all of the USA marks and labels on the shells and plywood chairs, tables, etc. If you should still have any questions about anything produced on this side, I am happy to answer.
Thanks again for the info,

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
27/04/2014 6:36 pm  

Can anyone help me with the...
Can anyone help me with the label I posted above?
I've never seen it on a Eames chair, but only on the George Nelson DAF chair. I wonder if somone just put it under the la fonda shell (for whatever reason). The shell comes from an old school in Germany.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
27/04/2014 7:55 pm  

Mistake
The label could have been put on the chair by mistake. That has been known to happen on some US-produced pieces.

ReplyQuote
supreme47
(@supreme47web-de)
Eminent Member
27/04/2014 8:02 pm  

Now things are getting...
Now things are getting exciting! Can you tell me more about that or provide me a thread/page where this has been discussed?

ReplyQuote
elone
(@elone)
28/04/2014 12:55 am  

Stickers
I've seen that label many times across Europe. I own around 10 european side shells and arm shells. The Vitra/Felbhaum production models had many different markings. The early ones had the paper sticker with the Herman Miller logo with Felbhaum production on it. There have also been the ones similar to the one posted above saying 'Herman Miller Collection'. Some Felbhaum shells just have the Herman Miller logo, no text embossed, though it is slightly thicker logo than the US counterpart. After that i have come across silver Vitra stickers which also say 'Herman Miller Collection' on them. I have some 80's european shells which have 'Herman Miller' embossed on the underside similar to the Panton chair above, these have also come with a black and silver Herman Miller sticker. The final production of Vitra shells if im not mistaken, have a black Vitra sticker with Charles Eames' signature on it and 'Original Fibreglass Chair' underneath. I have also seen this later sticker on shells embossed with the embossed long herman miller logo (text and logo next to each other.) Most European shells i have come across that do not have any stickers have the Vitra 'V' embossed on the bottom.
The earliest side shells i own are from the Hille production and have beautiful foil labels with the Hille of London logo and Herman Miller Logo. These are from the 1950's.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
28/04/2014 1:41 am  

elone
Thanks, and can you speak to any of the shape differences in the Vitra shells with regard to the dates or stickers? (It is generally known that the backs of the Vitra shells sometimes have a different curve/shape, etc.)

ReplyQuote
elone
(@elone)
28/04/2014 2:48 am  

The side shells are the same...
The side shells are the same shape as the US ones though the armshells have less of a curve from the top down to the sides compared to the US made ones. A quirk of the European manufacturing I like to think. The vitra/felbhaum armshells distributed by mobilier international in France have some different upholstery too, more rough tweed like. These shells usually have a round mobilier international sticker and the embossed 'V'.
Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@osseworst182hotmail-com)
25/03/2015 2:44 pm  

So it's been a while but i would Like continue this thread with another questionnaires.
i bought a eames LCM chair today (in Holland) with a Herman miller / felbhaum paper sticker. I understand now this a european Production pre-vitra by felbhaum. But what about period. Is this fifties or sixties?
any info is Welcome! Thanks,
rik

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register