Eames lounge chair

Eames lounge chair  

RSS

Emil
 Emil
(@emil)
20/12/2016 12:39 am  

Dear forum readers,
I have recently bought a long sought Eames lounge chain with ottoman produced by Vitra from a private seller. The chair is black leather rosewood/palisander and its condition is very good. I was told it was bought in 1999 and as far as i can inspect it, it ticks all the boxes it should to be an original.
One thing puzzles me though: the makes label says "Herman Miller made by Vitra" (see photo). I have seen online some other Eames lounge chairs with a similar label, yet these were produced in the 70s or thereabout.. Also, there is a "Herman Miller, Designed by Charles Eames" sticker on the ottoman. I thought the marks should have looked different for a chair of that age.
Can anyone provide me with a qualified explanation?

elone
(@elone)
23/12/2016 10:02 am  

I wouldn't worry labeling was all over the place on the European lounge chairs, I've even seen them mislabeled with the orange sticker similar to yours but saying designed by George Nelson. Yours are original.
It seems to me that you possibly have a set from different years of production. I think the black label is more of an early 80's production and the orange more 1970s. Or there is the chance of it being a changeover period and you were lucky and got 2 different labels.
To my knowledge if it were a 90s chair it would have a larger black labels with the Eames signature on it saying 'original Eames lounge chair' with the Eames signature and a small vitra logo.
Hope this helps, enjoy your lounge chair!

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/12/2016 4:43 pm  

I know very little about this design, but if it is rosewood as in Dalbergia nigra, Brazilian rosewood, then it most likely date to before 1992, because import of the species was banned then..

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
25/12/2016 6:52 pm  

Can you post more pix of the chair and ottoman from different angles? 99 doesn't sound right for Brazilian Rosewood or Santo Palisander though.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register