Design Addict

Cart

Eames Rocker Monkey...

Eames Rocker Monkey Business  

RSS

asawa
(@steve-aldanagmail-com)
04/07/2011 8:27 pm  

mrsmodern on ebay must have bought this rocker from 33 Now on 1stdibs and repaired the chip to the runner. The ebay description states there are no repairs. Too bad people just can't leave things original. It was a very nice original rocker with some honest wear and some interesting provenance. Now it either has a replaced runner or a big glop of wood filler.

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=533739

http://cgi.ebay.com/Herman-Miller-EAMES-Rocker-RAR-Rocking-Chair-Zenith-Vtg-/280705307916?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item415b57150c#ht_722wt_1119

http://cgi.ebay.com/Herman-Miller-EAMES-Rocker-RAR-Rocking-Chair-Zenith-Vtg-/280705307916?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item415b57150c#ht_722wt_1119

william-holden-...
(@william-holden)
Famed Member
04/07/2011 9:26 pm  

Just for the sake of argument--
If a seller were to replace a flawed vintage runner with an un-flawed vintage runner, would this be deemed "monkey business"? (Would it be monkey business only in this particular case, because the chair is said to have belonged to Max Wilk, so ALL parts included need to have belonged to Max Wilk?)
I ask this question out of naivete, obviously-- I'm not a serious collector.
Couldn't someone marry together assorted "original" parts and properly call the resulting chair "all original"?

ReplyQuote
asawa
(@steve-aldanagmail-com)
04/07/2011 10:03 pm  

Original
mrsmodern could be playing semantics with the word "original" or it can be seen it for what it is- fraud.
The runner is a replaced or repaired part that did not belong to the chair until last week. mrsmodern knows it and it should obviously be disclosed. You don't have to be a "serious collector" to know that hiding repairs is dishonest.

ReplyQuote
william-holden-...
(@william-holden)
Famed Member
04/07/2011 10:53 pm  

True-- hiding repairs is dishonest
But is trading one vintage part for another vintage part a "repair" to anyone's mind? (To me, it's not--)

ReplyQuote
asawa
(@steve-aldanagmail-com)
04/07/2011 11:23 pm  

hiding repairs is dishonest
How is replacing a part not a repair? Don't you go to the auto repair shop to get car parts replaced?
When something is broken and you put a new part on it, it's called a repair.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
04/07/2011 11:35 pm  

In the car
collecting hobby/business, the term "correct" is used to designate a replaced part -- identical to the original part -- which is not original to the car in question.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2011 12:14 am  

yep
"All original" means that it is as it came from the manufacturer in regards to parts. All of those parts have always been together.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2011 9:37 am  

There's a dutchman there.
If you zoom in you can make it out. The runner has been repaired, not replaced, and it is hard to tell how well by the available images. It should have been disclosed and that it wasn't would make me wary of this vendor's practices.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2011 9:42 am  

Yes, a repair
should be noted. A good repair -- and this one seems orderly, no ? -- would be preferable to a replaced part, as I see it -- but the buyer should be the one to make that choice. Far too much real estate is compromised as sellers try to make it "worth more." The same would be true for any aged object, it seems to me.

ReplyQuote
jdip
 jdip
(@jdip)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2011 8:58 pm  

"Excellent except splinter to one rudder."
This is what the 1st dibs description says. the description by the ebay seller says "The early birch runners have no splits or breaks and are showing some nice patina and appropriate aging as well"
What makes you think there was a repair? Am I midding something?

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
05/07/2011 11:22 pm  

Yes
You're missing something.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
06/07/2011 1:31 am  

The S
key.

ReplyQuote
jdip
 jdip
(@jdip)
Illustrious Member
06/07/2011 3:42 am  

great,
not only are my typing skills horrible, I cant even proofread.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register