Design Addict

Cart

Eames 670 in box  

RSS

Xavier
(@xavier)
Eminent Member
10/01/2015 5:42 am  

How feasible would it be to disassemble an Eames lounge chair and pack it into a smaller box for shipping purposes? There are plenty of videos showing the disassembly process, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried this?

tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2015 6:51 am  

The reasons why it would be feasible couldn't possibly be as interesting as the reasons someone could give for why it would not be feasible.
The end of this video shows how Herman Miller originally shipped the chair and ottoman in two relatively small boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SWL4gTQfTA

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2015 7:41 pm  

Very feasible and it makes sense to reduce shipping cost, except it is not practiced because of the stigma knock down furniture has and most people who paid thousand of dollars plus white glove delivery fees for something like the 670 chair and ottoman expects it be fully assembled when delivered to them.
I am not a purist when it comes to vintage stuff but I did get a lecture from someone at the Eames Office for removing the screws of 2 very rare and early yellow stain DCM (I own) which fit in box acceptable as checked-in baggage in a domestic flight.  (bases where stacked and all the wood parts were individually bubble wrapped)

ReplyQuote
Xavier
(@xavier)
Eminent Member
11/01/2015 8:39 am  

I've had two LCW shipped disassembled. Oh the excitement at putting them back together!
On another note, is the Softpad Chaise a potential disassembly exercise?

ReplyQuote
Jacobvs
(@jacobvs)
11/01/2015 6:01 pm  

It is very normal to ship a 670 disassembled. I received them like that many times and I shipped them like that many times. Where possible put screws back in screwholes after disassembling.
Make sure you use a screwdriver that fits well so you do not damage screwheads.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register