Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 3:58 pm  

Morning all!
Today the art installer from the gallery that sold me the Brutalist sculpture is stopping by to hang the beast over my guest bedroom's bed (at a slight diagonal). Should the "spores" face the glass sliding doors??...or should the spores face into the room? I'm just not sure. Advice most welcome. And so are cocktails.
thoughts?,
Your Aunt Mark

Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 4:08 pm  

I can't seem to load more than 1 picture.
Hi.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 6:52 pm  

I don't mean to pick nits but since it came up again
I don't think what you have there is an example of brutalism, you might make some mild tongue in cheek argument for representational constructivism because of the materials but that would still be pretty silly...
actually I love picking nits

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 7:04 pm  

stem end left

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 7:05 pm  

Just guessing here at scale... and I'm no Photoshop wizard. But I don't know... I guess I kinda like it pointing to the window, as the sharp end of the stalk fits better in the middle of the wall instead of the corner? I think I also like the balance of the shape facing down towards the bed, instead of up at the ceiling. But I'm not great at Photoshop.

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 7:07 pm  

But you could probably get the guy to try it both ways for a nice cocktail and see what you think.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 7:12 pm  

If this is a design class, I would probably come up with some mumbo jumbo logic during presentation to pass the class like pointing the piece toward the light as if it needs it or away from the window as if the wind is blowing it toward the room.
Or follow mgee76 advice but tell the guy holding the piece to wear a camouflage outift so he blends with the wall.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
14/11/2015 8:20 pm  

Stems left, flowers, right for me!

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 12:55 am  

Oh !
I can't thank all of you enough for all of your good advice (and mgee, you are quite cool for cranking out the renderings..I wish that I could photoshop..I just can't. I so appreciate what you did). Now the fragrant flamboyant owner of the gallery that sold me the piece was tagging along with the handsome delivery driver/installer, and BARKED that the flowers should be connected to the outdoor space (he actually said that to me with his hands on his hips!! The total sugar bowl pose). Then Miss Gallery started in with one hand on his hip (teapot, natch), and directed the installer (cute but sort of somehow challenged..I think) to sling the metal to the wall at the shown angle. They had 2 drinks, I played loud music and wore a simple Lilly pair of shorts in blue shell motif. The guest bedroom has never been the same. I feel pretty.
Best,
Your Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 1:47 am  

Looks great Mark.
And Object: since it isn't brutalist, nor representationally constructivist, except perhaps in a limited sort of way for an off night, what is it? Please.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 3:05 am  

"Decorative" -- and one of Man's countless attempts to demonstrate an appreciation of Nature's forms -- or some such bull. It's pretty !
I had to respond to the underwater tint of AM's second photo -- but even after color correction, that's one green bedroom, at night ! Perfect for a beside-the-sea environment ? Mark, are you still using that Polaroid camera your aunt gave you in eighth grade ?
The story of the installation is worth more than any two photos, to me . . .

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 3:17 am  

Oh, yeah -- it wants to be 3-4 inches to the left, doesn't it ? Get that hunky-funky helper back here this instant . . .
The visual center of gravity is at or just to the left of the largest "blossom." The stems are relatively weightless; they should project "out-of-frame" to the left. (See, I went to art school too !)

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 3:28 am  

SDR darling, I only completed the 7th grade. It was legal back then.
Fondly,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 3:42 am  

Sorry. This is the best thread in quite a while. And they told us DA was over . . . !
Keep hunting up those thrift-shop treasures. It's a healthy antidote to the price of, for instance, housing, these days !

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
15/11/2015 4:39 am  

Green. Yup, the guest bed wears a green heavy hopsack covering in the winter/fall and off-white-light linen in the summer. Green rug, too. I'm totally tired of the crown moldings/baseboards/grasscloth, but it's all in perfect condition...so I'll ignore it for a while. I'm also not crazy about the Barbara Barry bed, but I liked it 15 years ago..back when red meat and Swid Powell carved and starved their own audience. I wore black then, and collected chargers...but I digress. I am able to stash a lot of crap behind that tall headboard. A lot! Now SDR, I will call the installer (he actually left me his digits! hahahhaha...) only if he will move the bed a few inches to the right...as opposed to damaging the grasscloth (by moving the non-Brutalist sculpture).
Hi,
Aunt Mark
ps Design Addict can never be over. I have far too many pair of shorts to "air out". Oh!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register