Design Addict

Cart

Did Niels Vodder ma...

Did Niels Vodder make the first Spadestolen?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

HowardMoon
(@mcm-interiors)
11/04/2020 2:05 pm  

The construction of these fully upholstered chairs is far simpler than the earlier 133's, they are nowhere near as sophisticated. I imagine this simplified design was put into production to save money once Cadovious had his foot through the door. It would be interesting to see an original catalogue and compare the prices between the two models.

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
11/04/2020 8:38 pm  

I was wondering if the 241 wasn't in production very long because of a possible propensity to crack? The entire seat and back rest are only connected to the 2 bottom cross bars, (Not the sides/armrests) and the back rest flexes when you lean back as it is only attached to the seat portion with the two metal braces shown in my pictures. 

Its gonna be an expensive project to redo the bottom 3 cross bars, mainly based on trying to make it a close as possible to the authentic pieces and figuring out what to do color wise. (If the black will even completely come off and go natural beech or tint to another color) Luckily the owner of the chair on etsy said they would take some additional pictures for me to base it on.. 

Any other advice? (Could also just post in the repair section)

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
25/06/2020 8:11 pm  

Some updates on my Spadestolen! 

Took some time, but found some beech wood and rebuilt the 3 bottom supports with help from a fellow Spade owner I found on etsy for all the exact measurements. Stripped the black and currently sits in naked beech. The upholstery is being redone in a bright orange, and have the frame waiting to be finished. L:ikely going to tint it slightly, as beech can turn pinkish over time with sun exposure. Managed to find a gold FF logo under the black paint, so I know for sure this particular chair didnt come black. Certainly starting to look way better! 

1593108683-Spade-4.jpg

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
25/06/2020 8:18 pm  

And another picture with the original upholstery (which has now been stripped)

1593109092-Spade-2-2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
25/06/2020 9:44 pm  

Have you decided already what to do colorwise? Not easy. I'm not a big fan of natural beech myself but I don't like paint or lacquer either...

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
09/07/2020 11:01 pm  

I agree on beech, while I dont like changing the original look, it just doesnt fit in with my other stuff and not my taste.

Its going to be done fairly close to teak...Not sure what to call the color as it was a custom mix. Should be done in a week or 2. 

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
06/08/2020 8:48 pm  

Chair is finally done! Wood ended up being slightly darker than I wanted, but I think it matched perfectly with the orange/red fabric and looks very rich in person and brings out a bit of the grain that usually doesnt show up in naked beech.

Edit: Not sure why it comes up sideways.. my apologies.

1596739732-FJ-Spade-1.jpg

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
06/08/2020 8:52 pm  

And a side view. I absolutely love this chair, and surprisingly comfortable. 

1596740036-FJ-Spade-2.jpg

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2020 12:38 am  

Great result, enjoy! 

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
07/08/2020 11:20 pm  

Congratulations! Looks very nice.

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
HowardMoon
(@mcm-interiors)
10/08/2020 4:10 pm  

A labour of love. Nice choice of fabric, it looks great. Enjoy.

ReplyQuote
jbrajo
(@jbrajo)
24/08/2020 6:13 am  

mkg:  That’s a beautiful restoration. So much better than the black and beige version of itself. You can really see the shaping. I currently have a beech item I stripped and have paused on the refinishing. I don’t really care for the color of oiled beech either, but love the dull luster of an oiled finish. My item came to me a shade or two darker than your redone Spade which I also don’t  like the idea of repeating...

Did your finisher use a toned lacquer I’m guessing over a stained beach?  It looks so handsome with that undertone of red to the brown. I may head in your direction with my finish.  

ReplyQuote
mkg
 mkg
(@mkg)
Eminent Member
02/09/2020 6:07 pm  

@jbrajo

Id have to check with the person who did it, but I believe it was a custom color mix over raw beech. I had a spare piece of beech and he mixed 6 diffferent samples to come up with a color that I liked. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register