Danish Lounge Chair...

Danish Lounge Chair Quiz  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

HowardMoon
(@howardmoon)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 11:53 am  

Very nice chairs. I came within a whisker of buying a pair a few weeks ago that were unattributed.
Initially I thought the chairs may have been produced by Slagelse however as the previous comment suggested after doing a little research I came up with Johannes Andersen for Hovedstadens Mobelfabrik.
I'm sure I have seen an ad in an old Mobilia I have for these.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 4:23 pm  

Here is my documentation. There is another ad freely avail ale on the Internet, and the chair is on the Danish Furniture index.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 5:19 pm  

Good work by all on part 1. I need to correct an earlier comment.
I was previously too lazy to Google Translate the vintage ad from the UK site, which leif is referring to. I am emailing with them, and they advised that beech is indeed listed as a wood option in the ad (bøg)
A key clue to the second manufacturer was discussed earlier in the thread. I'll give until the end of the day.
I also recently noticed that I unintentionally had two other Johannes Andersen pieces in the photos of these chairs. One is easy to spot, but the other is harder to see in the background.

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 6:55 pm  

I trawled the web but not well enough, well done! I loved trying to find it though, maybe this should be a regular thing......!

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 7:02 pm  

I bet spanky knows the manufacturer, considering there is a similar seat strap layout restoration example on her website.

ReplyQuote
Danish-homestore.com
(@danish-homestore-com)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 9:37 pm  

I am pissed and have been spending my sunday drinking rum so am not going to play!!! Nah nah de nah nah

ReplyQuote
HowardMoon
(@howardmoon)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 9:49 pm  

Thanks for posting the ad Leif, I knew I had seen that before somewhere.
On a side note, I'm really not keen on the rocking chair version of this design.
Unlike rockers by the likes of Wanscher and Vestergaard-Jensen which feature a rocking base integral to the fluid elegant lines of the chair the rocker above looks like the standard chair simply retro fitted and dropped onto some rockers in quite a clumsy way.
This is just the style I guess, but I'm not a fan.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 10:44 pm  

I had to go look it up in my records, but yeah. I know the manufacturer. I think, anyway. (I'm not much of an ID person, actually! I'm always surprised when I can correctly ID something that isn't totally mainstream MCM.)

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
16/08/2015 11:16 pm  

And I'm pissed and drinking vodka today reminiscing about King Elvis. I could have saved his life, if he would have been dating me back in 1977. He was such a chunk of burning love...a total flesh-pot with a killer wardrobe, a new Cadillac, and thick dark hair. I still can't believe that he is dead. It's been tough.
yup,
Aunt Mark
the slack jawed gibberish, the glassy gape of a hypnotized hillbilly, the unmannered gesture of wiping the nose, the staggering and shaking as if he’d had a bad fit. I miss him so.

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 1:28 am  

This chair is also featured along the top of http://www.danish-modern.co.uk/chairs-2/ which I just noticed after trawling through it for ages.......!

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 3:29 am  

Well a couple already know but haven't posted it yet, so I'll go ahead and fill the rest in.
So my story with these chairs started Fri afternoon when I saw a local online listing for a pair of P Jeppesen chairs, with a single photo. The photo was straight on with very thick cushions, a combo that made it difficult to determine what the frame looked like. The seller sent a few more photos that showed the P Jeppesen green sticker labels as well as the "Y" side rail that I knew I had seen somewhere before. However almost all Poul Jeppesen lounge chair searches came up empty until some Google word combo search came up with an old eBay listing showing the same chair design with the same sticker. So that finally convinced me that the labels were most likely legit and not something added by a seller in the past. www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/danish-mid-century-modern-chair-p-jeppesen
Still, my Jeppesen searches came up empty on both the furniture index site and Danish Modern UK vintage ad site. I was about to give up, when I just happened to look up at the banner graphic on the ad site and by pure coincidence saw my chair as one of the eight that are always up there (as Reamie just noted). So I sent an email inquiry to the site hosts to see if they could send me the Jeppesen ad that they got the image from. It wasn't until they replied that I became aware that the chair design was by Johannes Andersen for Hovedstadens Mobel and Madrasfabrik. Once I had this info, I was able to find a few more chair examples.
After I picked up the chairs Saturday morning, I was able to do a better comparison between the Hovedstadens online photos and mine. The details are almost identical, including the brass thumbscrews that fix the legs to the midpoint of the backrest. The wood type for mine was stained beech.
As noted earlier, I cannot find any connection between Andersen/Jeppesen or Hovedstadens/Jeppesen. The zigzag seat support strap design for these chairs is similar to some Jalk chairs for Jeppesen. There is also some resemblance in the arm design to Jalk, not that I'm suggesting anything more than a coincidence. Does anyone here have an old Jeppesen catalog or other vintage doc that might shed a little more light?
In another coincidence, there is a Bruun Rasmussen auction in a couple of days that has a lot of two of these chairs, listed as Hovedstadens, in case anyone in Europe just has to have a pair of these: http://www.bruun-rasmussen.dk/search.do?pg=1&q=Hovedstadens&iid=30077186...

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 3:37 am  

Forgot to note that these chairs have the standard Danish hidden keyhole joints, similar to Selig and France and Son furniture, which indicates these were intended for the export overseas market. It appears that someone Gorilla Glued the front rail to the seat frame.
I'm not sure if the Hovedstadens break down the same way, though they appear to have the same thumb screws.

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 8:04 am  

The general form and construction of the chair reminds me of the one that shows up here in the U.S. with the Moreddi importer brand mark, which has been speculated as being by Poul Jeppesen, often with a Grete Jalk design attribution.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 7:56 pm  

"The zigzag seat support strap design for these chairs is similar to some Jalk chairs for Jeppesen."
That's all I had. Not that I expected to have the correct answer to any of the parts of the quiz!

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 8:03 pm  

spanky, can you recall what the strap fastening mechanism was on the underside of the Jalk / Jeppesen chair that you reupholstered? The tabs around which the current straps on my chairs are wrapped look a bit like scrap metal to me. There is no groove on the underside of the slots, like there is on early Selig chairs, where you would wrap the strap around a wood dowel, then back though the slot to tighten like a backpack strap.
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register