Danish Lounge Chair...

Danish Lounge Chair Quiz  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2015 8:29 pm  

I don't remember if there was a dowel type anchoring. I just stapled the webbing to the frame, with the permission of the owner, of course. I do remember having a horrible time finding appropriate webbing in the correct width. I ended up using cotton strapping and I'm pretty sure this was based on photos I found online of one chair with the original webbing. It was not Pirelli webbing---maybe jute? I had the same difficulty finding 2" wide jute webbing to redo a Mathsson chair--finally had the owner order from a place in the UK, I think, that sells kits for rewebbing Mathsson chairs. What a pain! Good luck, I hope you fare better!

ReplyQuote
Peter Dalsgaard
(@peterdalsgaardhotmail-com)
Trusted Member
20/08/2015 12:19 pm  

Small world. I have a pair of the 121’s
I’m guessing mine were manufactured at Hovedstadens Møbel- og Madrasfabrik (since Hovedstaden Møbelfabrik A/S, when they moved location to Tikøb)
As you can see, mine has springs instead of straps. The only sticker I can find has, what looks to be, the number “5” written in pencil on it. My guess is, that this was the manufacturer label, but it has faded away in the course of time.
As Leif mentions, the owner, Elmo Nielsen, seemed to be more interested in burning the furniture, than producing them. He didn’t really have the skills to be an arsonist, but in the 6th try, he finally “succeeded” in burning the factory down. He then pursued new career opportunities in jail. You can see pictures of his “refurbishment” here http://www.tikobkommune.dk/3,--gurreholm-.html (site in danish)
I can’t find any connection between Hovedstadens and Jeppesen either, but I second the guess, that Jeppesen simply bought the design from Hovedstadens when they shut down.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
20/08/2015 4:39 pm  

Interesting that the seat foundation by Hovedstadens is done very similarly to Getama. I've never seen another company that does it so. I will have o remember this.
What makes you think your chair is jot from the earlier, pre-move period?

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
20/08/2015 5:54 pm  

Good to see the seat support design for the Hovedstadens chair. On a side note, the Jeppesen chairs also have the same metal L-brackets that help support the back of the seat frame. There are also the usual sliding dowel connections to the bottom part of the backrest framing, so I guess they wanted belts and suspenders in that area. That makes the seat support design the only detail difference that I can see so far between the two.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
14/12/2015 9:11 pm  

Update: cleaned frames, new straps, new cushions (with Hallingdal 130) . . .

ReplyQuote
ktafletcher
(@ktafletcher)
08/02/2023 10:48 pm  

Hi @cdsilva, beautiful chairs! I came across your (now over 7 year old post) after having recently purchased a similar chair to your model 121s. My chair (picture attached) has the unique looking forked wood on the sides of the seat. However my chair has no markings and doesn't have the same horizontally slatted back -- it looks to be the same chair as the pair at this link https://www.chairish.com/product/3409237/1950s-vintage-johannes-anderson-teak-oak-lounge-chairs-a-pair which I think might be incorrectly marked as Johannes Andersen.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas to ID it? I saw another post on this website that some furniture companies used stickers instead of other, more permanent, markings and wondered if that's what happened here. Also were original Danish designs often copied by American companies? I know nothing about vintage furniture, but wanted to reach out as IDing the chair has intrigued me. Thanks!

1675892885-chair1.jpeg

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
16/02/2023 7:51 pm  

It is a similar side rail design. I have not come across this chair before. I agree that it is probably another company (good chance American) that made a chair that resembles the Andersen design for Hovedstadens. I'd further guess that the Chairish example is stripped of its original stain and lacquer finish.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register