Design Addict

Cart

Chair ID, dutch or ...

Chair ID, dutch or belgian  

RSS

franz
(@franzvervloethotmail-com)
07/07/2010 2:29 pm  

Can anyone tell me something about these chairs. They must be dutch or belgian (see label: "the construction is guaranteed" in dutch. I've got six, they are in fair condition but the skai needs to be redone.

thx,

franz
07/07/2010 3:23 pm  

Does anyone like them? I kind...
Does anyone like them? I kinda do, but not sure to sell or keep. Anyone any idea on the type of wood?

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
07/07/2010 3:39 pm  

I Like Them
wood looks like afrormosia

ReplyQuote
ite (BE)
(@ite-be)
Famed Member
07/07/2010 4:29 pm  

I don't know for sure, but...
I don't know for sure, but they look like they might be made by some of the companies in Be/ Ndl that did 'MCM' inspired designs such as Webe -Webe would be my first bet in this case. They are not bad, but they miss the refinement of some of the more elegant scandinavian examples.
Personally, I think more along the lines of "sell". However, that black skai is surely not doing those chairs any favors. They would look so much better with a nice wool fabric (genre Hallingdal). But re upholstery is a big cost (will prob end up costing more than the chairs), so decide first whether you want to keep or sell them. If you want to keep 'em, pick your favorite fabric that complements your place, and enjoy. Otherwise, sell them off and enjoy the additional space.

ReplyQuote
franz
07/07/2010 4:49 pm  

I came across them once...
I came across them once online and there they were indeed attributed to Wébé, but i can't figure out how the label could be connected with Wébé. I see a "V" and an "i" in it.
I agree 100% on what you say about the black skai. It gives them a robuste, heavy look, but when you look at them from some angles they are not at all. And indeed i'm sure they would look totally different and great with an lightcoloured
wool fabric.
What do you mean with "MCM"; mid-century modern?
Any idea on the selling value?

ReplyQuote
ite (BE)
(@ite-be)
Famed Member
08/07/2010 12:30 am  

MCM set
Oy, I did not see the label before - it's outside the picture unless you scroll. My bad. Yes good point on the "v" and "i", perhaps someone on the forum will recognise the logo. I have not seen it before.
Yes on MCM :o)
I do agree with you on choosing a lightcolored wool fabric, it would indeed make the chairs a lot smarter. However, please look at the chair attentively: the lower part, the seat and legs, are very well proportioned, but the back seems a tad too big too balance out the chair, and turn it into an elegant whole. It makes the chair just a tad clumsy. It will become less markable with the fabric, but it will never disappear completely. The question is: will this bother you in the long run or not ? Unless you're sure this is "no" for you, don't spend a lot of money on re- upholstering (you'll never make even half of it back if you would decide to resell them after all in the end). If you doubt, just keep 'em around for a bit before you decide.
But perhaps it makes the chair more comfortable ? If the chair is actually quite comfortable, that's a very big plus. If it's not comfortable don't keep it, really. Life is too short for sitting in discomfort every day. Really.
About resell value, that's a tricky one. As the set is by an unknown designer, nice but not superelegant, and probably up for reupholstery, I am afraid it won't fetch that much. I'd guess somewhere around 195 - 295 eur for the set. But depending on how/ where/ how quickly you want to sell it, you may get less. For instance, if you were to list it now for auction on Ebay (BE)* with a low starting price of 1 eur, 7 day period, you can expect to get less.
* I am working under the assumption here that you are living either in Holland or Flanders - cue the Dutch and the Poldersofa ;o) leuke vondst

ReplyQuote
franz
09/07/2010 4:38 pm  

thx
@ite
thank you ite for your insights.
i think i'm going to put them up for sale, most of all because we don't have use for them right now and we'll enjoy the space.
Pity i couldn't get an ID on them. I still quite like them and in fact they are quite comfortable. We always had in mind re-upholstering them ourselves, but can't find the time.
I have an other question, are you involved with MCM-design professionally? I have an other object i'm looking to get restored. It's a Tubax Willy Van Der Meeren small cabinet. It's not in a very good state, but i'm a bit afraid screwing it up by trying to restore it myself. (Cleaning up the wood panels, etc..., any idea's of who could restore it? I'm willing to make an investment in it.
The picture is not mine.

ReplyQuote
karll
(@karll)
Eminent Member
21/12/2012 12:31 pm  

Dining chairs designed by...
Dining chairs designed by Louis v Teeffelen for Webe in 1960.

ReplyQuote
luluhotrod
(@xtcdavehotmail-com)
Trusted Member
21/12/2012 9:23 pm  

ReplyQuote
Tom Ado
(@tom-ado)
Famed Member
22/12/2012 1:19 pm  

ReplyQuote
Share: