Cart

The Børge Mogensen ...

The Børge Mogensen Room  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Arjen
(@arjen)
16/05/2016 7:05 pm  

DrPoulet, you are certainly right. I've a chair from Mogensen, of which I know (from the previous owner) that it dates from 1973. The serie number on the sticker says: 1173. So that must be the production date in the format you mention.

ReplyQuote
terryt
(@terryt)
Prominent Member
20/05/2016 9:08 pm  

Thanks Leif for sharing images of your fantastic room. The juxtaposition of the cool colored walls with the warm wood tones makes the room very inviting. You must have been a viking in a previous life! Now if I could just nail down the correct pronunciation of Borge's name! I've heard it spoken by Danish folks and I'm not sure if I will ever get it right. Great job!

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 12:22 am  

I am not Danish, but to my ears they pronounce it a bit like the English word "burr." Or maybe "burr" crossed with "bear." And without too much emphasis on the "r."
Glad you like the Børge Mogensen room. It was kind of luck that I happened to collect a small room of Mogensen pieces that all coordinated well and have a suitable small room with a fireplace for the Modern Rustic feel that Børge Mogensen knew how to create so well.

ReplyQuote
terryt
(@terryt)
Prominent Member
21/05/2016 4:37 am  

It sounded like "Bugleee Mugleesen" or something crazy like that
The Danish language is in my opinion very difficult to learn…We visited Copenhagen last September and hit quite a few of the cool places like Klassik & Bruun Mathesen
(sp). Lovely people!

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 5:15 pm  

Check out Forvo.com -- a site dedicated to audio pronunciations of every word in every language in the world. I know that sounds crazy and they are nowhere near that point yet, but their database is huge and it's so fun! Native speakers all over the world submit recordings of themselves pronouncing words. If you can't find a word, you can request a pronunciation and someone will record it, sometimes within a day, sometimes within months. You'll get an email notification that's it's available.
A lot of the Danish designers' names are on there already. I requested a few myself. Some, like Børge Mogensen, have several so you can hear what people from different parts of the country sound like.
It is a tough language. They have those three extra letters with sounds that don't exist in English, and other sounds are made in ways that English speakers don't use...or something. I remember working on pronunciation with Danish friends and to my ear I sounded like I was copied them EXACTLY and they would just look at me blankly, waiting for me to try again! It was funny and tortuous at the same time.
Their grammar is simpler than English grammar, though. And their vocabulary is smaller and there are WAY fewer exceptions to rules. English is horrible in regards to rules!
My favorite Danish word: tjek (check).

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 5:39 pm  

On the PP Mobler videos, I have a hard time hearing if they are saying "Hanz Vay-Nah" or "Hanz Vay-Gnah". Whichever is correct, I usually use "Vegg-Ner" as there is a better chance then that the person knows who I'm talking about.

ReplyQuote
terryt
(@terryt)
Prominent Member
21/05/2016 6:15 pm  

Thanks for the info on Forvo…will check it out! I'm with you on the Vegg-ner pronunciation…same as how I pronounce. Off that subject-----You never realize how harsh the English language sounds until you travel abroad for any significant length of time.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
21/05/2016 8:12 pm  

"Hans" always ends with an S sound. I don't think there's a Z sound in Danish...?? And the A is in between a short A and a short E sound in English. Wegner depends a little on where the speaker is from in Denmark, i think...i've heard several different ways to say it. I think there are a bunch of pronunciations on Forvo. They definitely do not do a hard G sound.
They do a glottal stop on a lot of sounds, which we don't do in English much, or ever? Another thing to master...

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register