Arne Jacobsen Egg  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
21/09/2007 3:35 am  

I'll send you some pictures...
I'll send you some pictures LRF...I see this in some older Eggs from time to time, but not that often.
Taking it back to Corn is not really an option, and not worth the grief at this point. I figure I'll hang onto it for a few years and if it worsens, I'll bite the bullet and send it out to you.
By the way -- originals did not have piping? I've seen some really old leather eggs and swans with piping with what seems like their original skins -- and the new versions from Fritz Hansen also come with piping. Was it something that changed over the years?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@sputnikhedaol-com)
Eminent Member
22/09/2007 2:24 am  

Leather piping
I have owned all original leather eggs & I think early on in production they did the piping.

ReplyQuote
finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
22/09/2007 2:29 am  

piping
I believe they still do, if you look at the recent offerings from F Hansen. I prefer it with -- it seems a little naked without, at least where the leather/vinyl versions are concerned. Gives it a nice finished look. I've honestly never seen an egg sans piping.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2007 3:53 am  

The one we have in our hom...
The one we have in our home that was redone about three months ago we did with piping on the chair. and the ottoman.
As i have said the chair is so difficult to do with the hand sewn stitchs, any help you get to make it look much better is needed and the piping does help out a lot,

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2007 5:52 am  

LRF
Thanx for your opinion about the Egg chair and my mentioning the problem with the back.
I love the chair, to be sure, but when I moved into a bigger house, I checked with my friend who reupholsters mid-century stuff and he mention this issue. I thought about getting a Swan or Egg, but there's so many knockoffs, that I bid on and won a Grasshopper Chair and ottoman, which I went into detail elsewhere.
I also was lucky enough to get an Aalto Zebra Tank chair for less than half the usual price, from a store that had it on the floor! I wasn't even thinking about that chair, but I'm a BIG fan of happy accidents like finding a Zebra chair for less than $1100.00, almost brand new!
Similarly, I just got two Richard Schultz Onyx Topiary outside armchairs for $250.00 each - brand new...and they sell for about $1500.00! Whata hellava deal.
Finally, when it comes to buying furniture for your home, all good pieces go together, and whatever one likes one should get.

ReplyQuote
finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
29/09/2007 2:09 pm  

LRF ... advise please!
LRF -- do you have any user-end ideas on how I could maybe tighten things up a bit on my egg? We were discussing earlier in this thread where sometimes the back essentially comes unadhered to the foam, creating a wrinkle or sag effect. If it never sagged anymore, no big deal, but I fear that if it's this relaxed after only five months, what the next five might look like.
I will send this to you in the in the not to distant future...but for what I paid, not to mention the Spinneybeck hide, I gotta get at least a few years out of it first!

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
29/09/2007 8:45 pm  

I think that it needs to ...
I think that it needs to be resized
and that is by having a professional open it up and resew it,
When you do this it will be like a tailor taking the sides of your sport coat in cause it droopes in the back,
I know you have spent a lot of money to have it redone and it did not turn out the way you want,
I would have some reputable upholster in your area do this,
check with calico corner in your area, they can at least recommend someone who can do this minor work , don't let them talk you into any thing else as it can be salvaged. at a reasonable price.
please keep me posted and a photo would be great to retroredo.com I think that might work to make you happy,
glad to be able to help

ReplyQuote
finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
30/09/2007 4:29 am  

I was worried it would...
I was worried it would probably be impossible to get in there and restitch it, because it would perforate. Nobody locally has the chops to do an Egg. I went to one upholsterer and he scratched his head at the photo I brought along and said, "well, ehr...if I can't do it with staples, then I don't know..." So.
I sent you some photos to your Retroredo...the e-mail listed on your site. Thanks LRF.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
30/09/2007 10:13 am  

hate to say it but that is...
hate to say it but that is why i got into this business i could find no one to restore my stuff over the last several years so I hired several guys and started a business the rest is history In time they figured out how to do all the mid century stuff.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register