Arne Jacobsen Egg

Arne Jacobsen Egg  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@ndmba2003yahoo-com)
Trusted Member
18/09/2007 7:32 am  

found an egg at the local thrift for $50. Awesome condition, but it has poly-x rot (where the foam starts to disintegrate, but I like the term poly-x rot).
I am actually trying to find someone who can take off the original fabric, re-build it, and put it all back.

NULL NULL
(@ndmba2003yahoo-com)
Trusted Member
18/09/2007 7:32 am  

oops
I meant to put this under the cool finds link, sorry for starting another thread.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
18/09/2007 7:54 am  

that is a un real price fo...
that is a un real price fo 50 bucks I had to pay 1000 for the sick chick I bought but i redid it and it looks great, It is one of the hardest chairs to redo cause it has to be hand sewn good luck finding someone.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@ss283novayahoo-com)
18/09/2007 8:35 am  

The best in the USA is...
The best in the USA is called BK upholstery. They start out at 850 dollars, plus your fabric, and more in leather. I had a swan done there, and their standards are very high. They do lots of Knoll furniture also.
http://www.bkupholstery.com/reupholstery.html

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
18/09/2007 9:01 am  

spongbob
the best in the usa o.k.

ReplyQuote
Dr_Pepper105
(@dr_pepper105)
Trusted Member
18/09/2007 9:24 am  

LRF
What's a standard price for redoing a swan? I am able to purchase one for $200, but it has a rip in the seat. Is it possible to just do the seat (pending you find a matching fabric) or does the whole thing have to be redone? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
18/09/2007 9:39 am  

dr pepper
we are the same price as BK plus fabric
unfortunately you have to do the whole chair cause it is a one piece, great price on that swan both of you folks got great deals on those classic chairs i paid 500 for each swan on ebay,

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
20/09/2007 12:51 am  

Remants
There's a great guy who does all sorts of mid-century modern stuff in Minneapolis.
The business is REMANTS (612) 823-5591
David's knowledgable and trustworthy. He's not cheap, but extremely fair.
Thus far, he's recovered the following items for me:
a Saarinen Knoll stool
a Saarinen Grasshopper Chair and Ottoman, and also fixed the frame on the chair
a wonderful round seat 1930's chrome chair

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
20/09/2007 6:17 pm  

mispelled the name!
It's Remnants
!!!

ReplyQuote
finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
21/09/2007 1:15 am  

egg sag
I also had a swan done at BK. They were helpful and I think they did a good job, but I think for the price, the piping could have come out better.
Let me also ask while we're talking Eggs; what can a fella do when they leather in the back area of the chair starts to sag? Anyway to tighten that up? It doesn't bother me, however, I just had it reupholstered by Corn Upholstery in Atlanta about four months ago (avoid)...any suggestions LRF? Also, howabout some photos of your egg redo? I'd rather send my chair to a genuine lover of this stuff in the future.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
21/09/2007 2:37 am  

Fabric or leather along the back of the egg
From the time the chair was first produced, there's always been a problem with the fabric and/or leather adherring to the back smoothly. It often sags or pulls away.
When I moved from a 1000sq foot to a 2000sq foot house, I wanted to find some quality furniture. Because of the this problem with the Egg chair, it wasn't on my list.
I suggest you instead get a Saarinen Womb, Eames Lounge, or maybe the wonderful Aalto Zwebra 'tank" chair.
All of these are much more stable over the long haul, as regards the fabric or leather covering.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
21/09/2007 3:14 am  

thanks finch
send me yo...
thanks finch
send me your email address at retroredo.com and i will send you photos.
In defense to the competition it is one tough chair to do, It has to be hand sewn and every one earns there money on those chairs. Leather is the hardest to do cause that has to be hand sewn and you can oly do so much a day with out going bonkers, and sore hands .
send me pics of your chair and I will tell you if any thing can be redone
The originals do not have piping but I am sure it is just fine

ReplyQuote
finch
(@finch)
Noble Member
21/09/2007 3:21 am  

Thanks for the input, Barry -...
Thanks for the input, Barry -- I actually accept and even appreciate the aged mojo that these chairs develop, sags & all. I almost think they look a little too slick when first new. That said, I'm a little worried that that it's a little early in the life of this chair for it to be wrinkling like it is. I don't fancy a Keith Richards effect! If it steadies out and stays about like it is, no worries. Didn't know if my upholsterer was remiss in some finishing detail, or if I'd been remiss in some user maintenance.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
21/09/2007 3:21 am  

barry
Fabric or leather along the back of the egg
From the time the chair was first produced, there's always been a problem with the fabric and/or leather adhering to the back smoothly. It often sags or pulls away.
I have not seen this problem at all, on that chair and we have done several and i own two ,
I would say cause they were glued with the foam in the 60's they have fused together and has become one,( a mess when you strip it off they are one piece) that is why it has to be refoamed with the pressure glue
it needs to dry for 24 hours, and then you have to cut a one piece pattern and start sewing, and sewing ,and sewing till your fingers are blue.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
21/09/2007 3:25 am  

finch
Corn Upholstery in Atlanta should be called and that should be tightened
up otherwise you might have a problem down the road , as the plastic surgeons call it a NIP TUCK , make the call,

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register