Design Addict

Cart

Any classes you kno...

Any classes you know if to identify mid-century modern furniture in NY area?  

RSS

furnituregirl
(@furnituregirl)
Eminent Member
14/03/2014 2:50 am  

I want to learn more about identifying mid-century/modern furniture. Does anyone know where I can take classes/seminar/workshop on identification? I live near NYC.

foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
14/03/2014 5:55 am  

You're not going to find any...
You're not going to find any classes or seminars.
Best thing to do is buy books and visit mid-century shops.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2014 4:26 pm  

additional knowledge possible
furnituregirl,
Other than reading books (an excellent idea) I would suggest multiple visits to MoMA and "kicking around" SOHO.
This may not help, but it certainly will not hurt.
http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3ADE%3AI%3A1|G%3AHI%3AE%3A1&page_number=1&template_id=6&sort_order=2

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
14/03/2014 6:28 pm  

Check this forum every day...
Check this forum every day and search through the thread archives if you're looking for info on any particular piece/designer. There may be a lot of gibberish you will have to sift through, but a significant portion of my knowledge of mid century pieces has come from DA, including about 95% of the Eames stuff.
You'll soon discover the posters worth paying attention to (certainly not including myself in that group).

ReplyQuote
asd
 asd
(@asd)
Trusted Member
15/03/2014 12:58 am  

Spend some time online
Definitely here on designaddict. Also worthwhile to look at past auction catalogs from Wright20 and the decopedia on deconet. I guess one of the things I really like about Wright20 is they usually provide pictures of any stamps/marks.
Not sure if anyone here has any strong opinions about the legitimacy or comprehensiveness of either source, but i'd be interested to find out.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
15/03/2014 1:50 am  

It's very impressive what...
It's very impressive what Richard Wright has built in a fairly short time here in Chicago. While I don't know him personally, I believe he worked at Toomey in nearby Oak Park before starting on his own. The network of buyers and sellers that he had assembled over the years for high-end pieces is second-to-none between the coasts.
I look forward to each of the auctions in the same way I would a rotating exhibit at a museum, except you are able to touch and sit in the pieces at Wright. Indeed, high on my list when I visit next weekend is this Kagan stunner that rarely surfaces. . .

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register