Design Addict

Cart

Am I crazy to try ...

Am I crazy to try to refinish this $99 set of (probably) fake Tulip chairs?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

sue
 sue
(@suewandagmail-com)
Eminent Member
05/08/2009 11:15 pm  

So I bought this VERY dirty and beat-up table and chairs from Craigslist for $99 - they're most likely fake Tulip chairs (which is ok with me). I know for sure that the table is a copy because the base attaches flat with screws, and its square, so I am guessing the chairs are also copies. If you click on the pics the armchairs seem a bit square-ish to be the real Knoll ones.

I have a table top, base, 2 armchairs and 2 regular dining chairs (pedestal bases) - I paid $99. They're going to take a LOT of work to restore.

Do you think its worth trying to fix up, or should I just sand and coat them in some rust-proof paint and use them as patio furniture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22014482@N06/

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
05/08/2009 11:37 pm  

Hmm
The shells actually look very close to Eames shells, including the bolt pattern. Are they marked on the bottom at all?

ReplyQuote
sue
 sue
(@suewandagmail-com)
Eminent Member
05/08/2009 11:44 pm  

no markings...just rust! 😉
Interesting that you think it could be Eames... I haven't looked under every chair, but on first glance didn't see any markings. Maybe I'll take them out into the sun to see if the bright light helps show something.
The bolt pattern might be a clue of something - I have seen photos of Knoll chairs and there's no bolts - just a circular piece of hardware, I guess where the swivel is attached.

ReplyQuote
chewbacca rug (USA)
(@chewbacca-rug-usa)
Noble Member
06/08/2009 1:54 am  

yes.
you are crazy....... don't restore these.
you'll spend $99.00 and then a lot more for supplies, time and aggravation.
there are tons of vintage pieces out there that can be had for a little more that don't need any work.

ReplyQuote
claus (DE)
(@claus-de)
Noble Member
06/08/2009 3:05 am  

The shells REALLY look like...
The shells REALLY look like Eames, or at least like Eames knock-offs. Try to take off the bases and see what they look like underneath, if they're real there should be a mark between the bolts.
As you already bought them I guess some sanding and spray-painting shouldn't be too much an effort (but if the shells turn out to be authentic Eames you really shouldn't do that).

ReplyQuote
sue
 sue
(@suewandagmail-com)
Eminent Member
06/08/2009 5:51 am  

Ok, so I got some paint off...
And they look pretty good!!!
The really grimy paint on top is latex and is basically just rubbing off. I used extra fine steel wool and water, and its coming off nicely. What looked like concrete splatters rubbed off as soon as I got it wet.
I think the pair of armchairs might actually have Eames shells. I will have a look and see if I can remove the bases to look for the stamp.
The side chairs cleaned up pretty good with baking soda and water.
All 4 chairs will need the bases refinished with a new coat of paint.
I've added a cellphone pic of one chair after the first cleaning. Quite a difference, have a look! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2009 7:36 am  

Wow!-Not bad at all!
More progress shots,please.Can't go too far wrong for $99.!

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2009 9:02 pm  

Definitely
Definitely worth redoing. I wouldn't go all out and have them powdercoated, but surely 30$ worth of spraypaint and a little elbow grease are affordable.

ReplyQuote
sue
 sue
(@suewandagmail-com)
Eminent Member
06/08/2009 11:39 pm  

Herman Miller was here
You guys were quick to spot it!
I haven't refinished anymore, but I have more pictures with the bases removed - have a look.
Anyone have any thoughts on the side chairs?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
06/08/2009 11:52 pm  

Wow
Looks like someone did a DIY job to attach the arm shells to those tulip style bases. Shame that they drilled through the shells.
The side shells are Krueger, I believe.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2009 12:14 am  

Haha. Crazy they made HM...
Haha. Crazy they made HM chairs into Saarinen chairs. What the hell?
A pal found an eiffel base wire chair that the owner had welded casters on...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2009 12:22 am  

$$$$$$$
Can you say PROTOTYPE!

ReplyQuote
sue
 sue
(@suewandagmail-com)
Eminent Member
07/08/2009 1:21 am  

So...
You're funny, woodywood. If you want to copy the prototype design, feel free 😉
I think we may purchase some new Eiffel bases for the armchairs.
What to do with the Krueger/whatever side chairs though?
Maybe the best thing to do is sell them to fund fixing up the armchairs? I don't know enough about Krueger to know if they'd be worth something, especially considering they have those "fancy" holes drilled in them. They look pretty cute all cleaned up.

ReplyQuote
chewbacca rug (USA)
(@chewbacca-rug-usa)
Noble Member
07/08/2009 4:25 am  

drilled.
it looks like both of them have been drilled through....... yes ?

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2009 6:22 am  

Upholstered
I'm gonna guess that the armchairs were once upholstered, since there doesnt seem to be any evidence of shockmounts being attached on the underside. The later upholstered chairs were drilled from the inside just like yours.
In all honesty, it's probably not worth going through the hassle of buying Eiffel bases for them. Even tho the drill holes are probably vintage it's not something very desirable if you try to re-sell them. My recommendation would be to hunt around for an H-base first if you want the true Herman Miller look. An Eiffel base will cost about $100, and vintage H will run about $20.
Or, you could stick to your original plan and have those fabulous 'prototypes' as your deck furniture 🙂 They're already drilled for water drainage.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register