Page 1 / 2
  RSS

MSK
 MSK
(@msk)
Eminent Member
10/06/2009 2:26 am  

Hi
I have a client that is sure this chair is an "authentic something" from the late 60's early 70's - there is no tag. It is leather, walnut and quality made. I can't find anything similar - the sides are real cane - anyone have a suggestion for me?

Your help is appreciated -

Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 9:25 am  

Highly probable this was...
Highly probable this was made by an American manufacturer. Baumritter is a guess. A De Frutti original.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 9:38 am  

Di Frutta
Second that!
110% guaranteed.

ReplyQuote
Brent
(@brent)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 10:10 am  

De Frutti? Are you sure?
I've never known an authentic De Frutti to use that kind of caning. In fact, I can't recall having ever seen caning on a De Frutti. I'm not an expert though--just wanted to convey my reservations and invite discussion.

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 6:22 pm  

"Though Di Frutta
became renowned for his use of lycra, his early experiments did utilize cane, mesh, and patent leather."
From Di Frutta Di Gorgeous, L. Keir, 1994, pg 149.

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 10:50 pm  

The extended and upright
The angles of the chair definitely recall some of DiFrutta's sculptural work - especially when the chair is extended in the reclining position.
I still am a little wary about a definitive attribution tho... Patent leather, lycra, spandex, poly-lycra blend...all of these materials I can see DiFrutta using...but wicker caning? Seems to go against his flamboyant swinging aesthetic.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
10/06/2009 11:00 pm  

"It don't mean a thing...
If it ain't got that swing." -DiFrutta, 1989

ReplyQuote
MSK
 MSK
(@msk)
Eminent Member
11/06/2009 3:51 am  

Thank You
Thank you for giving me an avenue to pursue - I appreciate the feed back, will look into it and if I find anything conclusive, I will post the results here
M

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm-3verizon-net)
Famed Member
11/06/2009 4:45 am  

I don't think it's Di Frutta
Having close connections myself to di Frutta, I can say with 115% certainty that everything he designed was made of chrome, plastic, and blond wood. Maybe some black lacquer here and there. No cane, though he is known to drink Italian soda while he is lounging on the beach and that is made with cane sugar. But that's as far as it goes.
I'll look in my vintage Penny's and Sears catalogs for that chair. I know I've seen it somewhere.

ReplyQuote
chewbacca rug (USA)
(@chewbacca-rug-usa)
Noble Member
11/06/2009 10:28 am  

its funny.....
how so many people think the chair they have stashed away in the basement is a rare designer piece............
one day i would love someone to post a similar plea and actually have it turn out to be something rare and desirable

ReplyQuote
glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2009 12:47 pm  

I sense a challenge
I will have to dig out some "choice" items for all to ponder.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
11/06/2009 6:35 pm  

chewbacca
You could only DREAM of having an authentic di Frutta stashed away in your basement!
spanky- You conveniently failed to recall (or perhaps just ignorant???) di Frutta's illustrious organic phase, whereby he cranked out some of the most beautiful and provocative pieces of the era, e.g. the ceramic dragon-seahorse-lochness monster-creature, and the golden erect phallus with wings.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm-3verizon-net)
Famed Member
12/06/2009 6:55 am  

hmph!
total hearsay, woodywood! Well, maybe not on that phallus thing. That has been a recurring theme of his, I'll admit.

ReplyQuote
Sound & Design
(@fdaboyaol-com)
Illustrious Member
14/06/2009 8:40 pm  

It's amazing how little info...
It's amazing how little info there is on De Frutti (a?). Glad we've been able to amass some historical references. Perhaps this it the beginnings of a De Frutti monograph?
De Fruttis work can be highly derivative. See photo below.

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
15/06/2009 12:01 am  

Agreement
There are examples everywhere.
Here is a subtle example of his influence, the logo for the Atherton Car Centre.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register