Teak Table with But...

[Solved] Teak Table with Butterfly Leaf  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2020 4:33 am  

Picked this up today - no tags or marks.  I assume it's Danish but can't find one with this leg or edge design.  Does anyone recognize it? Thanks.    

1596767586-TBT.jpg

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2020 3:35 pm  

@mark737. Could you post a pic of the tops of the table legs ;this can some times be helpful in identifying makers etc.

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
07/08/2020 4:07 pm  

@lexi Here's one, thanks.  

1596809230-BFT3.jpg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2020 3:36 pm  

@mark737; I haven't had much luck with identifying your table. I would associate some of the details eg: shape of legs,the double lip and the edge banding with Swedish or British tables. They have ,how do I put this, an older "style" if you get my meaning. They could also possibly be from your part of the world?

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
09/08/2020 11:32 pm  

@lexi  Thanks for trying.  I saw some G-Plan tables that were similar but still nothing with the leg and edge design, which I agree looks more American (reminds me of Broyhill).  But I'm not aware of any American makers that would make a teak table with a butterfly leaf.  Whoever made it, they must not have made too many.  

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 11:25 am  

@mark737. I think I may have found the manufacturer of your table.

William Lawrence, Nottingham. UK.

The one I found, matches your table in all details except the top, which has a different wood finish described as "parquet" style.

1598434425-william-lawrence-dining-table-3-2.jpg
1598434765-Screenshot-14.png
1598434806-Screenshot-13.png

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 4:16 pm  

@lexi  Thanks,  it looks like you've done it once again.  Everything is a match except for the top being teak veneer on mine.  Makes sense that it's British, as you surmised, with those decidedly un-Danish leg and edge styles.  This William Lawrence table has the same top as mine but a different base. 

1598451414-WLT.jpg

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 4:35 pm  

@mark737. As usual I found the information while doing some random search that had nothing to do with dining tables 😏 

From what I have found on the web, that company was in business from the late 1800's to 1973.

I'd say the trestle leg base on the table you posted dates most likely to the late 60's/70's when everyone was doing the "danish" look !!! 

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 4:47 pm  

@lexi  Thanks for the background.  While looking into that "Richard Heritage" credenza I was surprised at how many British companies there were making "Danish-style" furniture back in the day.  Other than G-Plan, you don't come across many of examples here in the US.  

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 5:41 pm  

@mark737. G-plan was very popular here in Ireland too,which is not surprising given our proximity to the UK but apart from the fact that Ib Kofod Larsen did some designs for them ,the rest of their furniture is run of the mill.

But there were a number of other innovative designers in the UK, who are well known there but not so elsewhere and some of their designs  are great and very different to what was being made/designed by other designers and producers, in UK at the time.

Morris of Glasgow is one of those companies and their "Cumbrae" range was very popular and still fetches high prices today.

I am attaching two links which give a good account of their history and their furniture. A Google image search will provide lots of images.

http://www.morrisfurniture.co.uk/history/

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/693799

Enjoy.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 8:15 pm  

Thanks, I will take some time and read through those.   I came across this report while searching and found it interesting. 

https://antique-collecting.co.uk/2020/04/22/british-mid-century-sideboards-the-ultimate-guide/

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
26/08/2020 9:54 pm  

@mark737 @lexi If I may interfere ... I'm a little amazed that you both pay so much attention to British MCM design, in my opinion it's just second class design, that "certain something" is missing, the elegance is missing, it doesn't reach the level of Scandinavian MCM design.

Just my humble opinion. 😕 😎 

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
27/08/2020 3:04 pm  

@mvc  There have been a number of threads on German designers lately (Lohmeyer, Bandixen, Braun-Feldwig) .  Is German design also second class and not worthy of attention?  Personally, I don't see design as an Olympic competition where only gold medalists, as determined by subjective judges,  are worth discussing.  And if elegance were the standard, I'd say we spend far too much time here on the Scandinavians at the expense of the Italians.   That's my humble opinion.      

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
27/08/2020 3:52 pm  

@mark737. Maybe I didn't express myself well, I just wanted to compare the British MCM design with the Scandinavian one, and it's not difficult to make a judgment, which is not only subjective. Regarding the "MCM" design, mind you.

For sure the Italian and German (Bauhaus) and Dutch MCM furniture design is just as great as the Scandinavian one, or for example the early 20th century US-American modern architecture design, just as great, no doubt, but if you are looking for genuine MCM design in UK or France ... nothing worth talking about (exceptions confirm the rule).

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
27/08/2020 5:42 pm  

I don’t think the topic is worth a somewhat heated discussion. There’s so much Danish or Scandinavian rubbish out there you definitely don’t want to have near your house, there’s nice British design, nice German design and also terrible, terrible, terrible stuff from both countries on the market. But hey, one finds it interesting, one doesn’t. One likes it, one doesn’t. G-Plan wasn’t Johannes Hansen, that’s for sure. But once you discussed Johannes Hansen thoroughly, you might want to talk about other stuff. My humble opinion.  

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register