Stool, rosewood

Stool, rosewood  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
15/10/2020 9:59 am  

Here’s an interesting one. This stool has been sold by Brun Rasmussen a couple of times as being designed and made by a contemporary cabinetmaker named Søren Ove Nielsen. I don’t find a cabinetmaker of this name and the piece also doesn’t look like it has been made recently. I‘d say it’s not later than mid 60s. It doesn’t come with a mark. There are very similar three legged versions of this stool made by Hugo Frandsen. These come with a mark, so I don’t suspect Frandsen to be the maker of the four legged version. Has anybody seen this stool in a catalog? @lexi? @cdsilva? @leif-ericson

1602748763-CFBB8A55-6E7A-4012-83E0-69A855B2D5D2.jpeg

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2020 11:07 am  

Good morning  @Herringbone , I know this model as made by ....... Spøttrup, but this attribution is nowhere verified.

Can you identify that label?

1602753501-Unbenannt-8.jpg

ReplyQuote
Herringbone
(@herringbone)
Illustrious Member Moderator
15/10/2020 11:20 am  

This is the mark of Hugo Frandsen, Spottrup. But the four legged version doesn’t come with this mark, at least I haven’t found one  yet. 

"People buy a chair, and they don't really care who designed it." (Arne Jacobsen)

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2020 11:29 am  

The other Frandsen stools are indeed a little different in details, so most probably not a Frandsen.

The way in which the pad under the seat cushion is processed could give an indication of contemporary or not.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
15/10/2020 11:37 pm  

The rosewood makes it doubtful that it is too recent. 

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2020 1:02 am  

That's not an argument, the "world-famous" Dyrlund company, for example, still uses rosewood.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2020 2:04 am  

Dyrlund most certainly is not using anything that properly goes by the name rosewood.  All Dalbergia is banned.  And Dalbergia nigra which is what this stool appears to be has been banned since 1992. None of these is rosewood:  https://dyrlund.com/materials/?lang=en

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
16/10/2020 10:13 am  

Zephyr, of course you can now give a lecture that Santos Rosewood does not belong to the Dalbergia group and so on and so forth, but you cannot judge from a photo whether it is Dalbergia or Santos Rosewood, that's impossible. Even a professional cannot judge from photos only, and you cannot even judge that when you have the wood in your hand. For that a special instrument is required.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 5:35 am  

With some photos it is possible to be remarkably accurate as to wood species.  With others it is challenging. Sometimes Dalbergia nigra looks like itself.  Sometimes something else even Santos can look a lot like it.  Again there is a skill and study to identifying wood via photos. It is vastly easier in person to be certain. 

ReplyQuote
aaronny
(@aaronny)
Eminent Member
17/10/2020 10:55 am  

Only a layman can speak like this. It is absolutely impossible to identify dalbergia nigra from photos. Some other dalbergia varieties are so similar in appearance that an exact determination is only possible through a microscopic analysis. To judge from this photo this stool appears to be dalbergia nigra is ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 8:20 pm  

Is there a reason to doubt the BR attribution? They are not perfect, but certainly one of the more reliable auction houses. 

A quick search of Søren Ove Nielsen turns up this listing claiming to be made of pao rosa.

https://theyellowboatstore.com/product/arm%C3%A1rio-em-pau-rosa/

If one was interested in learning more about this stool and Søren Ove Nielsen, I’d think e-mails to BR and The Yellow Boat Store might be promising leads.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 8:41 pm  

Auction houses are generally a bad source, whether Rasmussen or Lauritz or Quittenbaum or Sotheby's, they are all not free from wrong attributions.

I had to laugh when I once saw on DFI, that an auction house in Los Angeles was listed as source.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 9:05 pm  

That would be why you send Peter Kjelgaard an e-mail to ask about the source of his attribution. If he does not have a legitimate source, then the attribution is more in doubt. 

Seeing as Søren Ove Nielsen is not an established name to toss into an auction listing to increase hammer value, I could see this turning out to be legit.

General observations about how poor auction houses are in attribution accuracy does little to help determine the attribution for this stool.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 9:16 pm  
Posted by: cdsilva

General observations about how poor auction houses are in attribution accuracy does little to help determine the attribution for this stool.

May I remind you that you asked: "Is there a reason to doubt the BR attribution?"

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
17/10/2020 9:22 pm  

You seemed to have left out the sentence afterwards, as well as my follow up post. It’s always good to read comments in context.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register