Design Addict

Cart

Is It 60's Murano V...

Is It 60's Murano Venini Glass Co. Chandelier?  

RSS

we.r.1
(@we-r-1)
Prominent Member
21/02/2019 4:53 pm  

Hello everyone, few days a go I had a chance of purchasing an Italian handcrafted glass chandelier from an estate here in southern California. According to the new owners of the 1966 built house this piece was the original fixture which came with the property. After dismantling it from from ceiling I notice a small green faded paper sticker of "Artcraft of Montreal LTD." Next day after getting in touch with Artcraft in Canada and  providing them with their image of old sticker and actual fixture they informed me it is so old that they do not have any record of actual piece but years ago Artcraft imported glass chandelier and lighting from Italy and distribute them in north America under Artcraft. With my search online the only exact piece to this one is " Murano Venini Glass Co. chandelier" .

My inquiries are: 1. Anyone have had similar experience ? 2.  Did Venini as a vendor provided fixtures to other companies? Venini has stickers or insignia on all their pieces? 3. If this is not a Venini,  some other glass company or studio copied their product in Murano Italy? 4.  What are the distinguishing features of Venini piece that are easily noticeable? 

Allow me to thank you all in advance for solving this puzzle. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.      

1550764413-Venini-Light-Fixture.jpg

lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
21/02/2019 9:48 pm  

Hello,

I am afraid I cannot answer all of the questions you have raised.

However, I can make a few suggestions !

1: Two other companies you should consider are Mazzega and Vistosi. 

2: In terms of distinguishing features , the framework holding the glass pieces ( the arms and how they are attached etc;) can be distinctive and you could compare your light to others on the net. This will require a lot of scrolling and clicking as most sellers/websites do not show the "innards". In the absense of labels or makers mark this may be all you have to go on.

Venini, Mazzega and Vistosi Glassworks are all still in operation, so you could consider contacting them.

In the meantime, I found the image below, (courtesy of Getty Images) with the following caption:

"PALM SPRINGS, CA - JANUARY 29, 2014: A Mazzega Murano glass chandelier, circa 1960's, purchased from Christopher Anthony in Palm Springs,"

Similar texture on glass as yours and the arms also look the same and based on the single photo you provided , that is all the help I can give at this time.

Lovely chandelier.Good luck with the research.

Lexi.

1550782108-gettyimages-567418977-1024x1024.jpg

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

aim liked
ReplyQuote
we.r.1
(@we-r-1)
Prominent Member
22/02/2019 2:06 am  

Thank you very much Lexi , I will definitely followup with your suggestion and will contact the other two glass work  outfits. Out of curiosity, is Getty have something to do with Getty museum in LA? Your image is very much (almost the same) as the piece I have. Thanks again for your feedback.   

ReplyQuote
lexi
 lexi
(@lexi)
Illustrious Member
22/02/2019 3:51 pm  

This image is from The Los Angeles Times via Getty Images which I found doing a Google search of"mazzega petal chandeliers "  The image is for sale, through"Getty Images" so I do not want to post the link here..copyright infringement etc;

I have no idea if there is an association with the Getty Museum in LA.

Let us know if you get a reply from any of the above mentioned companies.

Lexi

Knowledge shared is Knowledge gained

ReplyQuote
we.r.1
(@we-r-1)
Prominent Member
23/02/2019 12:44 am  

Thanks Lexi, so far no reply from Venini and I will find out in few day if the other two will reply. I will post any development regarding this as soon as I get any feed back from them. Thanks,

ReplyQuote
wesemael
(@wesemael)
Noble Member
01/10/2023 11:36 am  

@we.r.1  a bit late but if you look at the novaresi website you will  find your lamp

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register